• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Spesh

Some Suspension Questions Before I Spend My Hard Earned

Spesh

So I've got a 1.6 that is going to be fitted with a 8v turbo some time in the not so distant future. I've got the hubs and shafts ready to go to 1.9 sized and will be fitting 206 gti180 brakes (I think), I've also got new bottom arms ready to go on.

I have to replace the front suspension as its currently got some no name coilovers on it that are set so low its ridiculous, they have also had the helper springs removed so the springs unseat too.

The car is going to be a toy and never a daily however it will be used on the road. The rear beam will be sorted before the car goes on the road but that's a little while away yet. It'll be done to match/compliment whatever is done up front.

From reading here it seems coilovers are not the way to go on these and people seem to prefer bilsteins with some decent springs. I was originally looking at getting some Gaz coilovers but have been put off by what I've read here.

B4, B6 or Challenge seem to be the recommended ones.

B4's may be a little underspecced for what I want, B6's look about right but are quite pricey when I can get challenge ones for £340 a pair.

I'm also looking at eibach 7024 or 7025 springs for the front.

I know some of these questions have been asked before, i've been reading here for a while, but I guess I just want a sanity check and a bit of extra advice :)

Could also do with some pointers on top mounts too, can't seem to work out what I need for that.

Edited by Spesh

camgti

Your on the right path

Spend the hard earned on a rebuilt rear beam. Stretch the budget to rear discs if you can. They will work well with the 180 setup your planning to run. (You will need a bigger MC from a 406 non abs car) Also rear beam bushes while your at it. If your going to be increasing the front spring rate which it looks like you are you really need thicker rear torsion bars. 21mm should work well with the eibach springs youve mentioned. Using only the eibachs without the rear bars will make it usless to drive IMO. You could even get a hold of a rear 22-24mm arb while your at it to really finish it off.

New arms up front is a great idea as the bushes and ball joints are probably stuffed, the sportier b6? will be the ones to get with the extra power/spring rates you want to run. You could also fit the GrpN top rubbers if you feel like it.

Its seems like overkill maybe what ive said here but once you change something you need to change other things to keep the car balanced as thats where the fun is. Do it properly if you can otherwise it will just be better off standard as they are cracking as they are.

camgti

Also look at the 206 front eibach springs. Lowering a 205 too much ruins there sweet spot. With the 30mm- lowering springs and the added weight of the 8v turbo it maybe too low. The 206 springs have a touch more hight to them to keep it within spec.