• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Kane

Droop Limited Rear Suspension

Kane

Question for all of you knowledgeable suspension folks.

I've been perusing through a number of threads on here and other websites regarding droop limited rear suspension on FWD vehicles the past few days and wondered what people's experiences were with this type of setup and more importantly how much droop you run?

I understand having zero droop is a common trend amongst FWD circuit cars as under hard cornering the lift of the inside rear wheel removes any drag and subsequently increases load/heat into the outside tyre.

However how does this setup fair on not so smooth public road surfaces? Is there benefit having contact over all 4 corners when navigating over bumpy b roads?

The reason for the question is that I'm considering installing rear turrets in a car I'm preparing for hill climbing that will also be road worthy so ideally am looking to have a setup which suits both public and circuit type roads.

If it is the case that different levels of droop provide better results on differing road surfaces, which I assume will no doubt be the case, then I had a thought of introducing some adjustability in the form of a droop limiting device, i.e. straps. If possible i could have the damper lengths spec'd to general road going conditions and adjust the amount of droop on the rear whenever attending events/track days.

Not sure if what I'm considering is a load of nonsense but any advice would be appreciated!

Batfink

Certainly when I'm ordering customers dampers who want a bit of extra travel for rallying we've done custom bilsteins without the rear drop spacers but i've never heard of anyone bothering for a circuit car. I dont think it really would make much difference and certainly not at the speeds a hillclimb car will get up to.

Kane

So would you say just to keep the level of droop close to standard then Kev? Or at least similar to what you would have with slightly larger torsion bars?

I'm going to do a little more research to see if I can find any more info but if anyone with first hand experiences of using a similar setup could post up their thoughts that would be helpful.