• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
blandy

Track Focused Set Up

blandy

Been reading though historic threads all morning and not got very far as all very mixed opinions.

My 205 is track only with gti6 engine. It's currently fitted with gaz gha coilovers and rear dampers and that is it suspension wise everything else is standard (rebuilt but standard beam)

clearly I'm not getting the best of the car with the current set up - currently set hard up front and around mid way on the rear damping which seemed best,

Could you advise what I should be looking at purely for track use

welshpug

bilsteins, more rear spring and bigger arb.

petert

3J diff, 23mm torsion bars and 25mm min ARB.

tyres

blandy

Forgot to say u do have a 3j diff installed

petert

Enjoy the GAZ for what they now, but keep in mind you'll be looking for something better eventually. I've re-valved my front Bilsteins three times now (at $200 a pop) for each time I've increased the front spring rate. I really should have spent another $600+ on a better quality adjustable front shock.

What sort of cage do you have?

Edited by petert
  • Like 1

woodymi16

You need to set a budget and upgrade accordingly as a high spec upgrade in one area will show up a shortfall elsewhere.

Plenty of info on here but Peters advice is spot on.

I have a full welded in roll cage, AST 5300, 23mm torsion bars, 25mm rear ARB, Yokohama A048 tyres, Kaaz diff.

blandy

Enjoy the GAZ for what they now, but keep in mind you'll be looking for something better eventually. I've re-valved my front Bilsteins three times now (at $200 a pop) for each time I've increased the front spring rate. I really should have spent another $600+ on a better quality adjustable front shock.

What sort of cage do you have?

I have a weld in multipoint cage that picks up on both front and rear suspension points think it's a custom cages cage.

Ascot budget bit like everything it's a bit of a long term project so not strictly got a set budget but would like to make use of the gaz set up I have so could change sprig rates etc (have no idea what's currently on it as they are as they come from gaz) so if I was to make use of those say £750-£1000

Also need to do something with the fuel set up to either a 1/2 tank of swirl pot do few things to do

allanallen

Bigger bars will improve it massively, the springs you have will be far to stiff to match the standard rear end.

blandy

Makes sense why the rear feels so loose.

Would the spring rates be printed on the springs up front? As I'm guessing that'll have a effect upon the ideal size torsion and anti roll bar on the rear

Is there a "ideal" front Spring rate to torsion bar/Arb

petert

It's impossible to make the rear too stiff, short of making the shocks solid. Ideally, the front spring rate should match the rear.

blandy

Been looking on google where are people buying Arb and torsion bars from nowadays? I can only find spoox or pug 1 off at the min which I doubt will be the cheapest