• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

humanz

Screw For Fixing Brake Disc To Front Hubs

humanz

Quick question:

Is the screw used for attaching the front discs to the hub on the 1.9/1.6 gti really a cap screw as in this picture

post-7319-0-03986900-1461706445.jpg

which is similar to what my local fasteners company is carrying (2mm longer than the one specified on servicebox)

or one with a head like this

post-7319-0-18940400-1461706422.jpg

or one with a cross head, which is what's fitted on my gti at the moment?

Also, should two screws be fitted or is one fine? Realised over the weekend that my front discs only have one screw fitted, and one disc is loose.

Decided that I'd sort these out as the same screw is apparently fitted to the rear discs as well and I'm going to be fitting those soon.

Cheers

Edited by humanz

welshpug

they are countersunk screws, original type have a posidrive head.

a single screw will do, they are purely for locating not securing, rear hubs often only have a single drilled hole.

Edited by welshpug

toolie72

Countersunk screws like the ones you already have

You only really need one-to stop disc turning as you're trying to line up wheel studs (two would hold disc flat and stop crap getting behind disc tho)

Your discs are not held on with these small screws-that's done by your wheel studs

Your disc will not be loose when wheels done up

Allen head countersunk ones are better I feel purely as they're easier to wrestle with if they rust up-countersunk screws/bolts actually have quite a big surface area to grip relative to their thread size so they can be really tight to get off hence if you can get an Allen key into them you'll have more leverage than using a screwdriver on a slotted/philips head etc

Sorry I was typing (very slowly) at same time-damn this one finger typing lol

petert

I'd use low strength Philips head, countersunk. If they do become stuck, they will be far easier to remove than a high tensile cap screw.

I recently bought some aftermarket rear rotors in which the countersink is too deep, allowing the screw to bottom out on the head. Painful.

bondo

I'd be inclined to omit them entirely. As said above they don't hold the discs on - the wheel studs do that. You don't need them and the weight saving alone will give you at least a second less 0-60 and another 10mpg.

Mac Crash

and the weight saving alone will give you at least a second less 0-60 and another 10mpg.

;-) threw mine away tonight...