• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Telf

Steering Feels Stiff Then Floaty!

Telf

Hi all,

Having fixed my Carb issue I've now moved onto the next snag on the GR.

The steering feels wrong.( it feels wrong compared to the GTI) As you turn it feels stiff then light. One moment there is excessive resistance then it feels light as you pull the wheel through the 'stiff' area.

I've jacked the car up and tried turning the wheels with weight off- same deal. The rack does react as the steering wheel is turned- theres no point where the wheels don't move as the steering wheel is moved.

I've checked the knuckle bolt/assembly at the top of the rack - tight- seems ok.

I've checked the wheels/hubs/driveshafts- all seems normal.

So is the rack broken or is there anything I can do to service it?

The fault has developed over the last couple of weeks- no major drama that I can recall has caused it.

allye

Sounds like wheel alignment! Obviously drive ok in a straight line?

Telf

it drives straight yes.

The stiff/loose feeling is there when its jacked up as you turn fully one way then the other so I don't see it being a wheel issue- also there is no uneven wear on the tyres .

It doesn't wander about the road, it doesn't shake at any speed( well above 90 maybe...strangely smoother and quieter than the GTI though!) - it feels fine apart from this odd stiff/loose feeling as you turn the wheel.

I'm just googling now if it needs fresh grease- my workshop manual doesn't mention anything about refilling.

Edited by Telf

Telf

The gaiters aren't torn either- and there is no sign of any leakage associated with the steering

jackherer

If you can feel inconsistent levels of resistance even with the wheels off the ground it is probably either the suspension strut top mount bearings or the steering column lower U/J.

Anthony

If you can feel inconsistent levels of resistance even with the wheels off the ground it is probably either the suspension strut top mount bearings or the steering column lower U/J.

This. If it is unchanged with the car jacked up and no weight on the wheels, I'd guess it's probably the steering UJ rather than the top mount bearings (that should be worse with weight on them)

toolie72

I'd go for strut top myself, undo track rod end then turn hub by hand and feel for light spots, if you did it on both sides then you could turn rack with no load on it too-standard strut tops can go on hard used cars (or the grease has washed away)

Telf

Right-O!

Can I replace the UJ? or is it a new rack?

Also is it safe to potter around in- apart from feeling pretty awful?!?!

Thanks guys for the quick replies!

Telf

I'm beginning to think having two 205s on the road at the same time is not a great idea!

Anthony

The lower column UJ is separate to the rack. Top mount bearings are available separately and are common to various other PSA models as well.

As for "is it safe" that depends how bad it is and how badly it is impeding the steering - none of us can answer that without having experienced it.

I guess the test is would it impact your ability to accurately steer the car and/or would it fail an MOT? If yes to either, then I would say that it needs fixing ASAP and shouldn't be driven.

Anthony

I'm beginning to think having two 205s on the road at the same time is not a great idea!

It's fine, the problem is having to sort all the issues and neglect out on them to get them up to scratch - once you've done that, they don't tend to be too bad to keep on the road without spending half your life underneath them fixing problems.

Anyway, having two on the road nearly doubles your chances that one of them will work at any one time :lol:

• Like 1

Telf

Ha thanks Anthony I knew that was a Bone question as I typed it! I guess I meant is it likely to come apart- it steers ok but just feels horrible!

Well its my kids project car really so I guess if he wants to keep learning to drive in it he will (a) be finding some cash to fix it - Ive spent enough on it recently ! and ( b ) getting his hands dirty playing with the steering!

Edited by Telf

Telf

Neglect is probably right- the GR was a fair shed when we got it - but strangely had been looked after in a fashion.

I actually quite like driving it its quite quick for a 1.4!

Anthony

If it's being used to learn to drive in then I think that it needs fixing regardless - a learner has enough on their plate as it is without having to fight with a car that doesn't steer properly.

Good news is that neither the UJ or top mount bearings are a particularly difficult job - you will need spring compressors to do the top mount bearing though.

Telf

I will check the mounts as Toolie suggests.

If it feels ok then will have a go at the UJ. My lads driving on private roads so not the end of the world, funnily hes managed to master clutch control/pulling away even with the crappy carb problem we had.

Im trying to decide how much its actually worth spending on the old girl- it only cost £90 and we have already spent at least £200

2-Pugs

I had that exact problem once Telf. It was the lower column UJ as Anthony has already suggested. I took it out, and it barely moved in one direction by hand! I left it to soak in WD40 overnight, which freed it up a treat, refitted it, and it never gave me any further bother in the time that I owned that car

Telf

ok hopefully I will get time to sort this out this weekend

dawning

I think I have a similar issue, I replaced the lower UJ, the old one was fine though. Probably more of a problem with an XU engine because of the heat.

I have new strut top mounts which I need to fit, worth doing on an old car as I would imagine they are under quite a bit of stress. Hopefully will improve my steering.

Telf

Today I spent an hour applying a break free type oil on to the UJ. Had it jacked up and constantly turned the wheel.

Taken for a drive and the steering is back to normal.

Thanks for the help guys.