• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Telf

Screen Seal/water Leak Advice Please

Telf

Hi all,

For the last few years I've had a water leak into both front foot wells. It collects at the corner of the footwell/bulkhead.

Having taken the scuttle panel out numerous times and having never found anything I always thought it was a split weld or something.

about a year ago I had a blokey come out and seal the screen. I think this may have been a mistake!

Having a further look today I think the screen seal has shrunk maybe? See the pics- there is a lower lip that appears to be just floating above the metal lip,also there is a lot of sealant ? is this necessary?

Having never fitted a screen I don't know if the sealant is required - I'm thinking hes just bodged it!

Any help or thoughts as always appreciated.

all 3 pictures are of the bottom corners of the screen

post-21474-0-34412600-1460552464_thumb.jpg

post-21474-0-15602600-1460552472_thumb.jpg

post-21474-0-85729500-1460552480_thumb.jpg

Edited by Telf

welshpug

they don't (shouldnt) need sealant, the bottom corners of the seal should sit above the panel as there is a dip there to let water out.

best bet is to remove the screen and check there's no corrosion.

Telf

I've cleared the drain channel in the corners- full of sealant too.

Having had a check of the seal on the other 205 we have that is really tightly flush to the edges whereas as can be seen in the top 2 pictures you can lift the 'inner lip' of the seal clear of the frame easily.

I think a seal replacement is in order- so far the only supplier seems to be spoox.

Does anybody know of any other supliers?

allye

Farmer will be able to get you a new seal.

Both the seal channels in mine were silted up, now it's been replaced the van is dry!

Telf

ah ok allye.

These weren't silted just full of sealant, I think the seal has shrunk but not 100% sure!

I will PM farmer and see if hes got one

Telf

Ive tried calling my local dealer - apparently they don't make the seals anymore- but im sure I saw a topic this year saying you can still get them from main dealers...

ATK

No sealant, not needed if seal fitted correctly. None on mine and its watertight (second go by autoglass mind)

Alan77

Non sunroof windscreen seal still showing as available...

post-14615-0-85749500-1460623949_thumb.jpg

ATK

Non sunroof seal works fine on a sunroof car, thatswhat ive got as sunny sunroof seal nla

Telf

Alan thanks for the info!

Alex- doesn't it cause a lot of wind noise? or is that just a load of old Bo**ocks?

Pugleyrich

There is an aftermarket supplier of non sunroof seals - I bought a new one on eBay a year ago and it is basically the same as the original!

ATK

No difference in wind noise imo

Miles

Sunroof seal's seem to trap the water, The amount of sunroof sealed car's I have seen with rust above the screen compared to non sunroof car's is around 50 to 1, all mine have a non sunroof seal fitted

Telf

I was going to get someone else to do this job for me but how hard is it?

I imagine the screen will come out easy enough if I cut the seal? I've not really got a clue about refitment though

Pugleyrich

If you cut the seal it will push out easily. Its the safest way to get it out in one piece. There are guides on refitting. Its quite easy to if you have someone else helping you

allye

Don't piss about, there's a real nack to it. A company won't charg much for Justina doing the seal.

Telf

Ali,

I'm sure there is a knack but I really want to make sue the metal is good - not something a company will give me time to do.

allye

If you have a new seal then cutting out the old one is fine, that way you have the time to clean up the frame.

I've fitted a number of flat Windows in the back of vans, 205 quarters etc. don't think I'd attempt a windscreen though! Some on here claim it to be relatively easy.

I'm always surprised how brutal window guys are with the screens though, giving them a good thump!

Dj_mini

They go in easy just get an extra pair of hand to help and some washing up liquid to help it slide in your need some good string i use some old cord from a curtain rail I found on a site I was working on ;)

Telf

Ive carried out a bit more investigation this morning.

pouring water onto the corner of the screen produces a steady trickle into the car. Once its all dry if I pour water directly into the corner of the scuttle panel after about 20 seconds water starts appearing in the car to- running down the same area.

The water is draining freely from the area behind the panel- so now I'm stuck- is there any weld etc that's known to leak in this area - it causes a leak in both the passengers and driver footwell if I pour water into the corners of the panel.

The water isn't coming from the doors nor behind the kick panels. It is literally running down the weld line at the footwell/wheel arch (on both sides).

Due to the dash being fitted I cant see the actual source of the leak.

Telf

more leak searching. Having taken out the panels under the steering wheel and removing the ECU I got access to a strengthening piece the runs just below the windscreen.

Via the molding hole you can see the water running from the inner corner of this section when you pour it directly into the scuttle panel area.

Ive got no idea how to get access to this area to carry out a repair- im thinking it requires the wings to be removed? Does anybody have any idea?

the pics show the hole and the line the water is running down

post-21474-0-60699700-1460905382_thumb.jpg

post-21474-0-24882200-1460905449_thumb.jpg

Telf

Heres a general view of the area I'm on about to make my rambling a little clearer

post-21474-0-97909200-1460906267_thumb.jpg

toolie72

If you pour water down does any come out at bottom of wing/sill join

That's where it drains out of mine-could yours be blocked so waters trying to go somewhere else

If your down pipes blocked in house then the water comes out of gutter (on your head and down back lol) it's got to go somewhere-Newton says it goes down

Telf

if I pour a 10L water can into the area then it produces a tickle in the footwell. 99% drains fine. However that 1 % ends up soaking the carpet and also gets sucked up by the foam on the bulkhead.

Its not pouring in- but it doesn't need to.

If I could work out how this part of the car goes together then I'd be able to make a informed decision about how to repair it. As far as I can see the area its leaking in from wont be accessible even if I remove the dash- hence I'm hoping someone has seen this before.

I have a feeling Im going to end up removing the wings to effect a welded repair of some sort