• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

davey205

Rust Repair Advice (1St Time Attempt )

davey205

I have some surface rust, advice wanted please as never attempted anything like this before.

WP_000217_zpsgxx9ar7f.jpg

WP_000216_zpslmmjou2u.jpg

http://www.wikihow.com/Repair-Minor-Rust-on-a-Car - does this pretty much cover what I need to do?

I did have an area that was down to the metal ( not rusted ) and I just used the touch up pen 2 coats ( 1 green, 1 clear ) but no primer as I didn't know any better. Will this offer the area some protection until it flakes off in a few weeks / months or is it just as bad as leaving it bear metal / should I sand it down and use primer 1st ? )

Best materials recommendations please as mentioned never done it before and complete novice.

Edited by davey205

Tom Fenton

Take it to a body shop is my recommendation. From the pictures it looks a nice thing. No offence intended but if you've never done anything like it before you will likely make a pigs ear of it.

• Like 1

davey205

I've started making some enquiries, suppose a few paint chips as long as its not down to the metal I could take care of with the touch up pen method I'll see what they say.

I've just put some oil over it in the meantime.

Edited by davey205

davey205

A friend is going to help who's done it before, what's the best remover to use? Kurust, Jenolite... something else?

Any particular primer to go for? Do I even need primer when using Kurust?

Edited by davey205

Slo

You may find that the bottom of the rear quarter (thats what it looks like) above the sill is rotting from the inside out and if you take off the rear door card and look down into the top of the sill you may find 1. a lot more and 2 a lot worse. So i'd start there before you touch it, as tom says if you've never done it before you will make a right mess of it.

• Like 1

davey205

You may find that the bottom of the rear quarter (thats what it looks like) above the sill is rotting from the inside out and if you take off the rear door card and look down into the top of the sill you may find 1. a lot more and 2 a lot worse. So i'd start there before you touch it, as tom says if you've never done it before you will make a right mess of it.

Ok, good point I will check the sill from the inside before we do anything, friend knows more what he's doing as used to have old mini's and used it a few times.

Slo

Caused, among other things, by the rear window rubbers leaking water into there. Cti's are the same but cope with it better as the sills are a lot thicker and last longer.

• Like 1

davey205

Thanks for the heads up, massive help will have a look and hope all that Waxoyl we put on a few years ago has at least helped ( was fine when we sprayed it on ) fingers crossed.

Henry Yorke

The rust on the rear sill top is often dur to blocked drain holes in the panel, which you can get to when you have the rear quarter card off. The water can get in by rear window seals or as I have found twice, the rear quarter panel coming away from the rear inner arch as they are only bonded on, so check this. I resealed mine with tigerseal in a large syringe.

• Like 1

davey205

Looks ok? bone dry just wd40 to shift some of the Waxoyl , can't see a lot of rust just filthy oily drain was blocked with Waxoyl, I've ordered some rubber conditioner for the window seals and plan to tigerseal the rear quarters to the arch for good measure. WP_000219_zps0emv9k3a.jpg

WP_000220_zpsjnlzmd0o.jpg

WP_000220_zpsjnlzmd0o.jpg

Edited by davey205

Tom Fenton

Sorry but about all I can tell you from those is that yes its definitely a laser green something.

davey205

agreed pretty crappy pictures phone will get better one's but everything I touched moved to the side in a dirt like fashion leaving laser green behind lol , will clean it up more too but to my eye looks alright ( actually being there ) .

Edited by davey205

Slo

That looks good apart from the pictures being horendously bad lol take some further away and a lot more light, maybe remove the seat belt and protector temporarily to see it all

Very surprising to see it as clean as that compared to the outside