• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

speno

1984 205 Gti Heater Help

speno

So my daily runabout is a 1984 205 gti and like some/most 205's the heater is broke

Now before everyone says replace the motor or clean replace the transistor module , On mine the actual heater box does not have an hole for the transistor module hence it doesn't have one

The fan does work when connected but it comes on full power i cannot turn it down or off , I've checked the slider ( phase 1) with another one and still the same

Thanks Spencer

Tom Fenton

Have you traced the wiring back? There must be a controller module somewhere, the slider control cannot handle the current to control the fan directly.

speno

post-20355-0-83709600-1458646380_thumb.jpg

There is that module. Phase 1 wiring I'm not up on . Fine with everything else . Going to take the top dash out at the weekend . I've got a better one to put in too.

post-20355-0-75127200-1458646507_thumb.jpg

Tom Fenton

I don't think that is it, the wiring size looks too small, have you tr5aced the two large wires from the fan back?

welshpug

looks like it has been messed about with there, so as Tom suggests, trace it back.

speno

Have you traced the wiring back? There must be a controller module somewhere, the slider control cannot handle the current to control the fan directly.

I don't think that is it, the wiring size looks too small, have you tr5aced the two large wires from the fan back?

That's what I thought , traced them back as far as i can see but they go up behind the main wiring loom with out taking the top dash out would be very hard to trace back further

looks like it has been messed about with there, so as Tom suggests, trace it back.

I've run and switch into the fan loom loom for the time being ( its cold up north )

speno

post-20355-0-97711900-1458673351_thumb.jpg

There it is for any future reference for anyone but I'm guessing not many 84 models left now .

Oh check that inner wing out too . Solid..

Cheers Tom for guiding me there chap

• Like 1

Miles

That module should be the oil level checker, yes early GTi's did have this fitted, Pass on the heater control but I'll check on mine

Tom Fenton

Yellow wire is the earth from heater fan, blue is signal wire with varying voltage from the fan speed control on the dash. Not sure about oil level but this is definitely the heater speed control.

speno

post-20355-0-91356600-1458733469_thumb.jpg

Looking at the original books and the actual module I think it should be there and like Tom says the wiring all matches up

It didn't help by the fact it's got the standard washer bottle covering the module instead of the early one . Me thinks it's time to fit the early one now

Slo

So that hole is actually for a bottle to poke through then and not for a plastic cap to live interesting.

Phase 1 heater should spin continuously even when turned off (but very slowly) ive read, mine did even though it wasn't like that, well you have it now so you will find out.

Edited by Slo