• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Faultless

Brakes For Track Car

Faultless

So I'm building a track 205 I'm currently collecting lots of parts and then I'm hoping to make a build thread, but for now I need more help for buying my brake upgrades this may get a bit confusing but I'm stuck now.

I had on the car gti6 calipers and was pretty happy with, but now I'm adding a lot more power and using mostly for track I've decided to go for an upgrade. I don't really want to be spending over £1000 on the AP and I've read some bad things about wilwoods. I managed to pick up some brembo 406 calipers very cheap (with 305mm discs so if anyone wants the discs and doesn't mind driving to collect then you can have the discs) so I was happy to go down that route. But then I found you could use megane and Clio calipers but I've no idea where you can purchase adapter brackets, so I have no idea which caliper option is the better or simpler fit.

So if I stay with the 406 calipers I know that I would need xantia 288x28mm discs which are heavy so I started looking for bells and rotors, hi spec seem to do lots of custom sizes and pretty cheap considering. But I don't know what offset I'd require for the bells and what size rotors will fit without catching the caliper or causing a wheel caliper collision.

If I go down the megane and Clio brembos also with two piece bells and rotors then again which bell and rotor combo should I go with as the only kits I've seen are on 306 forum and on 16/17 inch wheels so should I guess from this these calipers will not fit under 15s?

My wheels are 15 X 7 speedline 2118 et15 from Carl chambers group buy although will be a little while until they arrive, but would like to get the brakes sorted so I can save for the next purchase a shorter rad

Many thanks

Lee

Malc

I'm running Lotus Elise calliper with adapted brackets, these use 283mm 307/206 discs, very lightweight calliper and have been great, however it's the pads and fluid that I feel make the biggest difference. Iv used red and yellow stuff from EBC previously but not impressed due the Reds overheating and crumbling, yellows were a slight improvement but did not last. Hence now using CL6 pads. Calliper really depends on what wheel your using and if you want to run spacers, Lotus calliper requires 10mm spacer and 406 Brembo I used years ago also required them, Pretty sure your GTI6 calliper with decent pads and fluid would be sufficient.

petert

The biggest difference you'll see is pads. Parry (user on here) and I do some fairly competitive racing. Whilst we are both planning a change to 4 spot calipers eventually, our current combinations are extremely competitive. I use GTi6 calipers with Endless pads and Parry uses 307 calipers with Project Mu pads. I'm not sure there is much difference between the pads we use, but keep in mind we both use racing compounds which cost approx. $400-$450 a set, rather than hot street pads.

I prefer the GTi6 setup because the discs are lighter and the calipers more rigid than the 307 versions.

You also need quality fluid. We use Wilwood EXP 600. Again, you need to be in that quality range.

Four spot calipers under 15" wheels are an engineering challenge. There's LOTS of other areas on a 205 which need improving before you go down that route.

Tom Fenton

If you have the budget there are plenty of 4 pot calipers that will bolt straight on. I have a set of Alcons and a set of AP's both lug mount that bolt straight on to the standard 1900 upright and clear the standard 15" wheel. Obviously if you want to make something else fit then a bit more work is needed but its only making a mounting bracket.

1A9AEEC0-B6DA-47FB-B207-CA6118E84711-358

jorg

i have a bell and rotor setup for 406 brembos which fit under most 15" alloys but its not perfect. i will put some pictures up later to show how they work. godspeed brakes do a different version to mine, it costs £395 for a pair of rotors and bells. if you are considering going for the megane brembo set I would stick up a wanted ad for a used set. the 310mm fitting kit alone costs £350, then you have the price of the calipers, rotors and pads on top. looking through the speedline 2118 group buy thread i have my doubts whether they would fit.

what is your budget?

Faultless

Yes there is no chance of the 310 kit they use on that forum fitting under 15s so it would be great to see the pics of your set up with 406 brembos. As I said I've already got these calipers I'm more than happy to keep with them but I'd rather not use a spacer so shaving of the calipers may be needed? Or could I spacer the calipers back more and use a larger offset bell? Which bell and rotor setup do you have jorg?

My budget would be around £400-500 but I know that good pads may be around £150-200 as I really don't rate EBC pads I currently use I think the same as PeterT but RC5+ Carbon Lorraine pads in my other car and they're great loud but great. I have only seen Godspeed setup for 106 is this the same?

welshpug

Yes there is no chance of the 310 kit they use on that forum fitting under 15s so it would be great to see the pics of your set up with 406 brembos.

ahem

21524891136_a1f523ee07_c.jpg

welshpug

Also, 6x15 MO's, 10mm spacer.

17137078708_02d1cb57a4_c.jpg

Faultless

Haha show off ;) ok so is that ashes 310 kit on the 306 forum? If it's as expensive as jorg says then I may as well go with 406 brembos and get bells and rotors. So that's one decision made.

Next then where can I find the offset required? If the height of the xantia disc is 34mm and thickness is 28mm am I right in saying the offset is 6mm?

Welshpug I have brake envy

blandy

Nice is that the 310 kit ash sells on 306 forum? Should fit under pro race 1.2's id imagine?

welshpug

funnily enough, the profile of the td pro race 1.2 doesn't go over them in a 15"!

it is the pendulumn motorsport kit, the corners of the caliper need dressing and low profile hex head bolts.

personally I would go a little smaller on the disc and pull the bell pcd down too, get a stock 305 or 300 mm disc

Edited by welshpug

blandy

Ah shame oh well

jorg

pictures of my 406 setup as promised. bells were made by maynard and has 280mm ap racing rotors.

CB6E8426-03A0-4853-A508-C2262753BB04_zps

FE6A7AD9-308A-40F5-BC37-D220F1BD38C0_zps

98F0CCB0-FA7E-4F4E-8000-E3A557D13905_zps

1D6FD5AA-DE86-4742-8C2E-48E844AA6F37_zps

Faultless

That's spot on jorg. Thanks. That looks just what I'm after any clearance issues or need of a spacer?

jorg

the bell has a built in 10mm spacer so should be fine with most aftermarket alloys

Batfink

if you want some trackday pads to go with that then drop me a line.

www.kamracing.co.uk

If you are driving to the track i would either go for ferodo DS1.11 or CL Brakes RC5+. If you trailer your car you may be better off with something more fruity..

Edited by Batfink

zeebraa

I have a set of hi spec bells and rotors for 406 caliper if you need any measurements