• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matty205xs

Fitting A Roll Cage

matty205xs

Hi all, iv recently bought the rear half of a safety devices roll cage and am currently trying to fit it in the car. So far iv cut out some base plates to be welded onto the cars floor but I'm unsure if they are thick enough. So my question is, is there a certain thickness of metal to use for the base plates as the stuff I'm using is around 1 - 1.5mm thick or is it ok as long as they are welded in properly and the roll cage bolted in securely.

Thanks.

welshpug

3mm minimum!

• Like 1

matty205xs

Right ok thanks I will go out and buy some 3mm stuff then, glad I checked before I welded them to the car.

Mac Crash

rear and front plates (full cage) don't technically need to be welded in place if car is for road use only, but the middle plates will need welded as the plates there use captive nuts, front and rear plates simply bolt through the floor. This information is in the safety devices information sheets on their web site which you can download in .pdf format...

matty205xs

Thanks for that info Mac crash I will look that up.

Another thing aswell is it seems that the previous owner of the roll cage had cut off the rear mounting plates at some point and possibly reangled them and then rewelded them back on, i'd imagine it would but does this make the roll cage void or unusable if I ever wanted to use it in a completion such as a road rally?

Thanks.

allanallen

rear and front plates (full cage) don't technically need to be welded in place if car is for road use only, but the middle plates will need welded as the plates there use captive nuts, front and rear plates simply bolt through the floor. This information is in the safety devices information sheets on their web site which you can download in .pdf format...

That depends very much which cage it is, my c44 safety devices cage (as well as OMP bolt ins) needed platforms welding in at the the front to mount it on, they'd have been floating otherwise. The rears on mine bolted to the beam mounts.

The more basic c12 could be mounted directly to the floor but spreader plates would be a very worthwhile addition.

Mac Crash

Another thing aswell is it seems that the previous owner of the roll cage had cut off the rear mounting plates at some point and possibly reangled them and then rewelded them back on, i'd imagine it would but does this make the roll cage void or unusable if I ever wanted to use it in a completion such as a road rally?

Not sure about road rally rules, don't think cage is mandatory, so probably it will be fine... but for any FIA event where national licences are required, stage rally etc, then yes, cage is now void, no drilling or mods allowed as the cage loses it's homologation/approval.

That depends very much which cage it is, my c44 safety devices cage (as well as OMP bolt ins) needed platforms welding in at the the front to mount it on, they'd have been floating otherwise. The rears on mine bolted to the beam mounts.

The more basic c12 could be mounted directly to the floor but spreader plates would be a very worthwhile addition.

Yeap, OMP front legs need a box section type mount/spreader plate welded in, as you say it would be floating otherwise, all depends on which type of cage it is... my cage seems to be a hybrid but is stamped C12, yet has the C44 double triangle rear section with harness bars, front legs are C12 and bolt through the floor with spreader plates, rear legs the same and middle of cage goes onto raised spreader plates with captive nuts.

allanallen

C44s bolt directly to the front rear beam mounts so yours sound a like a c12 with some additional bars which I believe safety devices would do if requested.

Mac Crash

Allan, that would explain things, looking more closely now at the rear of the C42/44 I can see it bolts to the beam mounts like the OMP type, at first glance it looks it is on spreader plates similar to the C12, cheers...

• Like 1

matty205xs

Thanks for the replies so far, allanallen the cage I have is the safety devices one and as you mentioned the front plate mountings would be floating if you bolted the back ones up first which mine would be doing so perhaps it hasn't been cut and rewelded have you got a picture of how to mount it or know a website that could show me?

Thanks Mac crash that's good to know, it would really only be road rallies I would like to take part in.

allanallen

I haven't I'm afraid, I'm sure a search on here would turn a few pics up though.

Does it go through the dash?

matty205xs

I'm not sure about the front half as iv only got the rear half of the cage, I picked it up because it was going cheap at the time.

allanallen

Ahh sorry, you mean the mountings for the main hoop rather than the front.

matty205xs

Ye sorry I forgot say, so I'm guessing I still need to make a box section for the mounting of the main hoop.

allanallen

If it's floating yes ;)

matty205xs

Ok thanks, here's what the rear mounting plates look like when the front ones are sat flat on the floor, as u can see its tilted up so I assume I need the box section at the front ones to lift it up and keep the rear ones flat.

post-24078-0-74817100-1456835294_thumb.jpg

Edited by matty205xs

allanallen

Perhaps not a box, maybe just slightly thicker plate?

This looks to be the same cage as Mac crash has

Mac Crash

Matt, see photos below...

Don't have access to any other photos of the cage in place at the moment but below is a photo of the fitting kit I used (from safety devices) to fit my C12 cage...

C12%20Fitting%20Kit_zpsio4wkr5g.jpg

The two plates in the top left of the photo are the ones you need for the main hoop, these need to be welded in place as the nuts are captive, i.e. you can't drill through the floor in this location. The two plates (middle left) are the rear spreader plates, these can just be bolted in place when you have drilled the holes for them, but would be best to weld the plates in if you can. Don't use the inner holes on the cage mount, just drill the three outside holes closest to the wheel arch, can't see the outside of your rear legs, but should have three parallel/inline holes if it is the same as mine.

Fitting kit is available from safety devices but they have a 3 week wait as they are made to order... was easier for me to just buy them, but they are simple enough to make,

Link to the C12 cage with clear photos of how it fits... you can also download fitting instructions here.

http://www.safetydevices.com/motorsport/products/roll-cage/Peugeot+205+-1983-1998-3-door-without-sunroof/64/925/

Edited by Mac Crash

matty205xs

Thanks Mac crash that's a big help, I see what you mean now with the small box section, I can't seem to find the kit to buy but as u said they should be easy enough to make from some 3mm steel.

large

If you look in the blue book it will give you the spec you need to fit the cage to.

I haven't read the full thread but I did see a mention of road rallying.

As said you don't need a cage for this but if you do fit one it must meet the regs.

Tom Fenton

I haven't read the full thread but I did see a mention of road rallying.

As said you don't need a cage for this but if you do fit one it must meet the regs.

It makes sense to install the cage properly, but I've never known any road rally scrutineer really give anything much more than a casual glance. Typically it would be the scrutineer who issued the MSA logbook who would thoroughly check the cage, certs, installation etc. Obviously this doesn't apply to a road rally car.

allanallen

True that! They're far too busy checking you've got yellow tape on your battery cable, a zip tie around your m/c reservoir and giving you their opinion on the length of your wheel studs! Road rally scrutineering verges on ridiculous sometimes, you see some right unsafe s*it pass, same with MSA circuit racing scrutineering though. We've had a car fail for the wheel bolts we've used and the same scrutineers passed a car with coach bolts holding the cage in....

matty205xs

Ye I have read they are quite fussy, ill be starting off with just some car club road tours so the car will be fine for that as it is, but it will need a bit of sorting out for road rallies.

205wrc

As large said. You don't have to have a cage fitted for road rallying, but if you do it must be fitted correctly. A few years ago at scrutineering on a local road rally a driver was given three choices. 1. Go home and finish putting it in correctly. 2. Pull your entry or 3. Take the cage out. The cage was removed in the car park.......

• Like 1

large

It makes sense to install the cage properly, but I've never known any road rally scrutineer really give anything much more than a casual glance. Typically it would be the scrutineer who issued the MSA logbook who would thoroughly check the cage, certs, installation etc. Obviously this doesn't apply to a road rally car.

I got picked up with the front mounts not having a plate on the front edge.

But as you say Tom if you are going to fit one do it by the blue book.