• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

allye

Running New Wires Through Screw Type Door Shuts.

allye

The van has the later type screw door shut wire things, I need to run new wires for aftermarket central locking and new speakers cables.

I would like to retain the screw type if possible as its a nicer setup than the earlier one. Has anyone hollowed out the plugs the allow you to do this?

I could then simply extend all the door wiring into the shell with a multi plug at the end.

Cheers, Ali

j_turnell

Would it not be easier to get some ph2 door looms with central locking wires already there? Then it would just be a case of swapping the central locking plug if necessary. Only potential problem is if the wires aren't on the other side of the plug being a van..

cRaig

The screw type door connectors are unfortunately bonded on to the wires with mastic/sealant for waterproofing, so its not possible to add wires easily. (from memory the plug on the car side isnt sealed up in anyway, just the one in the door)

Fortunately the same plugs are used on the Xsara picasso- but sealed with a rubber sleeve, rather than silicone (that was a fun afternoon wandering round the french section of the local scrapyard..!) The pins are then available from Pug to recrimp and you can add several more wires :)

I did this to add the external temp sensor into the door loom.

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=112908&p=1430815

If you are just trying to add things that the GTI already has, as James suggests, getting door looms may well be easier.

Edited by cRaig
  • Like 1

allye

Issue being I want to run new speaker wire and not have £100 speakers being fed by 20yr old budget speaker wires!

Yer I'm aware they are bonded but I don't think it would be too hard to cut the wires and drill out the centre so you could run what ever wires you wanted. Will look into the Xsara ones though.

j_turnell

Ah fair enough I didn't notice the speaker wire bit. Looks like the Picasso option may work, run new speaker wire and get crimps from Pug.

cRaig

Issue being I want to run new speaker wire and not have £100 speakers being fed by 20yr old budget speaker wires!

Yer I'm aware they are bonded but I don't think it would be too hard to cut the wires and drill out the centre so you could run what ever wires you wanted. Will look into the Xsara ones though.

From memory the whole back of the plug was sealed up pretty well, and getting in without destroying the plastic clip parts that hold the pins in place seemed fairly remote, I think I did try cutting into one as a test, gave up and hence the effort I spent finding an alternative plug! :)

Henry Yorke

When I have done this, I chopped it off and then put earlier model flexis on and put inthe CL and EW loom off any early model car.

When I got older and lazier and retro fitted CL & EW to my 1.6 GTI and CTI, I just bought a plug and play loom :) It was fitted in seconds!

sp_en_ny

On my CTI I just removed the whole of the plug, but as mine does not have central locking or electric windows the only cable going through the plug was the original crappy speaker cable. I did consider drilling the plug but as pointed out above the opposite is sealed up tight and so impossible to feed through thicker cable anyway.