• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

dartman

Maxi 205 Suspension

dartman

OK I have a maxi 205 build and at looking at suspension options. I believe on the continent they run a 306 rear beam on a modified 205 floor pan for extra width at the rear also better camber and bar sizes.

Believe Andy baker did this on his do called "ultimate 205" but still no info.

As for the front krs do some nice wishbone arrangements but have read about people running 405 bones and shafts 406 hubs and uprights and all sorts.

It seems that the maxi suspension is pretty much classified for the 205 I've spent hours searching and pmING people who have them to no avail.

Any info on other spec also welcome

Cheers

welshpug

205 maxi was never a thing, they are all home built specials to meet a certain class rather than a homologated car like the 306.

Satchell engineering and maxi motorsport can help you with it though.

And

Most run 205 or 306 rear axles with hub spacers and longer sub axles from what I can see, not sure Andy got far with his before the move stopped him carrying on altho he did sort the front hub nuckles that looked like copy's of the C2 R2 ones. Try speaking to satchell engineering they sorted one that is in current use over here, also Andy Reid on his is just modifyed 309 arms and rear axle and turreted with golf coil-overs,

welshpug

c2 r2 ran 307/c4 hubs, which is also what Satchell engineering have utilised on their 106 setups, they favour the 405/6 hubs on a 205 though.

Tony Palfrey runs a tubular trailing arm on his 205 with 307 front hubs on the rear, so no beam at all as such, his front end is identical to Colins car in its entirety other thank the top mounts themselves iirc.

allanallen

We've done a set of rear arms for a maxi, 205 beam and arms with altered geo, spacers and longer axles.

There's some bodgetastic affairs about...

And

Yeah Mei that's what Andy used the 307 hub nuckel as he originally was using the C2 R2 struts too and so copied them. post-26451-0-49666700-1456499394_thumb.jpeg

dartman

OK lots of good info there, I wanted to run a 306 beam to limit the size of the spacers and meaning I can hopefully run some production wheels like nimrods like lots of them use instead of paying lots for custom offsets etc.

Front end I've got 309 shafts and bones but won't give me enough, I've looked at 405 bones etc or custom tubular bones. Longest drives halts would be the 405 ones I think they should give enough clearance.

welshpug

306 beam will be far too wide even with 405 wishbones as the subframe is narrower, the wheelbase is too short to accommodate it too.

using a 306 beam also limits the width of wheels you can use, better to use 205 beam and lower offset wheels.

And

How wide do you want to go? My front end is 35mm wider with 205 bottom arms that are modifyed for for a PTS Rose joint, I have to run 306 rack ends and the offside drive shaft (I am TU3-BE4/3) and the rear is 309 with 306 arms and hub spacing and 20mm hub centric wheel spacer was ment to be temp the spacer till I got some hub spacers made, it is good on fast stuff but had to be thrown into tight stuff as turn is is lost I have since modifyed the front sub frame to move the arms forward and it's now a lot better the Strut tops are turned for max caster min camber mix to correct, I am the width of some maxi kits but they all very in width.

dartman

I think the kit is 7.50cm each side, I'very currently got 309 bones and shafts but I think I'll make up some tubular bones like the krs ones.and maybe use 405 shafts. What hubs would be best to use for the biggest offset 406? As the back I was going to use 306 arms on the 205 tube. 309 beams are pretty hard to get hold off. And the beam I already havery has got 24mm bars in it.

Cheers for all info so far.

allanallen

306 arms won't give you any extra width, the hub/bearings will give you 9mm ish per side.

I may be wrong but I think 405/406 hubs use the same drive flange as a 205 so your 405 driveshaft will dictate how wide it will be and not the hubs.

welshpug

yep, 405/306 shafts are the same lengths and do use the same bearing and drive flange as the 1.9.

youre better off settling on a suspension design and making shafts to suit.

maxirallye

Satchell Engineering can machine shafts to whatever length you require.

And

Just to add to this again after speaking to AB he told me that Baker bushes and mounts made him a mount kit that slots the 306 axle in with out altering the floor pan and so mates up to the 205 mounting points. As he sergested it for me as I run 309 axle with 306 hub spacers and a 20mm hub centric wheel spacer and I would like to get rid of the wheel spacer the 306 axle would only be 5mm wider than I current have.

welshpug

but you'd lose the capacity to run wide wheels.

petert

I run 405 driveshafts with Grp A hubs. Top mount centre position is very different however, if you want to stay between -3 and -4 deg camber.