• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

And

Ast Dampers

And

Ok before I start I did use google and the search but still not answerd all.

I run a 1400 stage car mostly on Tarmac currently running bilstein setup 280/150 front inserts with 225lbs 9in springs and Tarmac rear dampers with 23mm bars, I did run my gravel rear dampers on the Isle of Man (1038's) it worked but not too well on druidale and a bit crashy on the Ramsey stage.

I have been wanting to move it on now to the next level so looking at 3 ways but as I run a tight budget rears are only the real option for me in 3way so was looking at AST 3 way rear but with posabley running AST 1way fronts and have then valved correctly for what I do,

So bacically what are every ones opinion on these and is getting hold of them still as bad?

Or am I better off sticking with my front bilstein setup for now and just going to reiger's on the rear as they are not much more and upgrade the fronts as I can afford.

welshpug

speak to kam racing or gwynnespeed, both have decent contact with ast, andy gwynne has run quite a few rally cars on them.

proflex can do you a 40mm insert that fits the bilstein legs, as can ast I believe.

Miles

Biltein are bringing out a new range soon so depending on how quickly you need them it may pay to wait a couple of months

welshpug

I saw a picture of some 205 2 way adjustable bilsteins last week.

Edited by welshpug

And

Oh sound good, I may wait then in no rush stared to look last year miles then a expensive engine rebuild and then a box upgrade to make matters worse seen all the funds drained away and also having to fund a stilo intercom seen PLR never sent the peltor one I payed for but won't go into that.. A few week or month will help Have you got that photo Mei

welshpug

correction, not 3 ways only two way adjustable, for a circuit car so didn't need the extra oil capacity a rally damper needs.

ask bilstein uk if they can do something.

post-8656-0-91398000-1456087427_thumb.jpg

allanallen

Ast are still a pain to deal with I believe, a customer of ours is having ongoing problems sorting his fiesta 3 ways...

I'd personally look at proflex rears, proven and can be checked/serviced quickly by proflex uk.

I know of someone selling a full set of proflex if they're of interest, they'll be around the 3k mark though.

And

Thanks Allan but think a bit out of my range in one go have considered proflex but they are a bit more than reigers new, and from those running reigers they seem good to deal with and fast turn around. Think my best bet is go 3way rear for now and fronts at a later date.

Looking on Facebook on the ast uk there are a few resent bad reviews.

• Like 1

allanallen

They're a seemingly good product but let down badly by customer services unfortunately.

Avo remote res may be worth a look.... They're much cheaper and have a reasonably good reputation, customer service is also extremely good. Worth an ask on britishrallyforum for folks experience or perhaps a call to avo.

welshpug

I wouldnt go avo, they are the opposite of ast, good customer service, dampers that dont last between services! and not the cheap stuff,mI'm talking the remote res rally stuff!

proflex on the new car I service for, a good few years old now so needed a service but all spot on since that.

Batfink

correction, not 3 ways only two way adjustable, for a circuit car so didn't need the extra oil capacity a rally damper needs.

ask bilstein uk if they can do something.

I can get these! Last I spoke to Bilstein they were just wanting to confirm that the driveshafts cleared the adjusters.

AST can be a pain to deal with but I order direct with the factory, only using AST UK to ship the order to me. Seems to work at the moment at least.

Running the three ways at the rear allows more damper movement so its definitely superior. AST generally do not make a custom damper, but if you choose a soft spring, they will recommend running the damper on a softer setting to match.

For customers wanting a more personal and custom setup I've been selling Intrax suspension. Its more expensive than AST but they make a kit individual to the car its going on.

If you would like a quote then drop me a pm.

Kev

http://www.kamracing.co.uk

Banjo

You need to speak to Curtis direct at ast, they're based near Cheltenham.

And

I spoke to him (Curtis) over emails he did get back quick but also give the idea that they would be valved to spec required maybe not then,

I will kev once I get my finance in line altho getting from the factory helps but I still have a concern on rebuilds or do they go back to the factory?.

But the bilsteins I do like what I have but needs ajustment wonder what the 2ways would be like on the front.

Edited by And

Batfink

Rebuilds are done via AST UK / Curtis.

If you want a fast service etc then I'd be tempted to say Intrax again as they turn things around so quickly. I can get bespoke kits built in two weeks and usually rebuilt units even faster. Just drop me a line and we can discuss the benefits of all the options available and pricing then you can make a decision.

woodymi16

I ordered a set of 3 way adjustable from AST on the 25 November and they where delivered today!

post-17804-0-90750000-1456430586_thumb.jpg

Tom Fenton

Woo they are fancy pants! What they going on?

Batfink

Didnt take too long then to arrive lol

And

You seem to be 3 dampers short graham lol, let me know how you get on with them knowing the lengths of them would be good too if poss please.

woodymi16

At least the lead time gave me a chance to save up the money to pay for them.

post-17804-0-31356700-1456519061_thumb.jpeg

Just to prove I have all four!

woodymi16

You seem to be 3 dampers short graham lol, let me know how you get on with them knowing the lengths of them would be good too if poss please.

I'm home next week so I'll send you the spec I ordered and the dimensions.

And

Curtis did say the rears were 340mm bolt centre to centre but looking at that there it don't look to have much travel maybe you can confirm, mine cocks a rear wheel up easy so some drupe would be nice if poss too.

woodymi16

I'm home next week so I'll send you the spec I ordered and the dimensions.

Not sure what you need but here is some info.

If you want any more let me know.

post-17804-0-33267400-1457198725_thumb.jpeg

post-17804-0-39740800-1457198825_thumb.jpeg

And

Interesting he quoted me a longer rear maybe afew options when they assemble them, altho I have found on a ast leaflet 6300 rally series ones that are not on the web site so I wonder if it's them he originally quoted for me.

And

Well it won't be AST getting fit now will be a set of rear... Reigers, used but just been serviced.