• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Malc

Camber Best Options?

Malc

Just looking for advise and options, I'm fully aware that suspension settings are down to personal opinions etc etc, but as I'm building a track based car I Would like to know what Would be the best set up. Currently I have Group N Billies with Ebas springs and 309 bones, however camber and castor being the main concerns, I'm thinking get the camber sorted with hubs from bridgecraft at 3 deg rather then top mounts as I feel this would be a better option. However castor? How do I sort this with out resorting to coil overs, or am I better to just go for coilovers with adjustable top mounts, if so which?

allanallen

No easy option to be honest.... Coilovers and top mounts is the obvious off the shelf option, beyond that you're looking at repositioning wishbone pivot points or custom wishbones.

parry

It also depends on what tyre you run and what camber it likes. I run Khumo slicks and 4deg neg is what is best. To get the 4deg a lot of mods were made!

Malc

No that deep!

Need to have a think about this, plenty to be getting on with at the moment, so will do a bit more research. It seems coil overs and adjustable top mounts would be the easiest option.

petert

In my experience camber is relatively cheap but caster costs money. I'd start with adjustable top mounts, as the postive caster will give you camber.

• Like 1

Malc

Been offered a set of Compbrake wishbones at a decent price, however read a few reports on here (older reports mind you) and they really don't seem to get a good write up. Not keen on removing my front ARB, however keen for feedback on this for a track car.

Is it worth going for these compbrakes? Or look to modify a set of standard wishbones? I have a spare set of 205 bones that I could look to modifying, again any advise here would be great.

welshpug

I'd go with modified standard bones.

Malc

Thanks, seems the best option, surprised when I read all the poor reviews,

allanallen

Thanks, seems the best option, surprised when I read all the poor reviews,

Not sure what surprised you, the design and material are terrible! There's no new reviews on them as no bugger is daft enough to buy them anymore! :P

Malc

I know, it's shocking that companies get away with selling poor quality products, good job I had a proper read up on these before wasting money.

Mac Crash

I'd start with adjustable top mounts, as the postive caster will give you camber.

Peter, how does that work? I mean, how will fore or aft movement of the strut achieve camber?

309 bones and shafts!

Old solution but non adjustable, only gives minimal increase, then you are back to square one when the balljoint is worn...

I know, it's shocking that companies get away with selling poor quality products, good job I had a proper read up on these before wasting money.

http://www.gartrac.com/

The RJ wishbones I have came from these guys, plenty other sources of them including on here but likely to be no warranty due to nature of use, est* £300 - £400 which doesn't really seem much when they will give you uncompromised steering geometry. The comp brake items look and sound the part but as already said by the experts, don't buy, not sure why you would need inboard/inner rose joints anyway? there will be no discernible movement here with good bushes which are much cheaper than rosejoints, the whole point of rose jointed bottom arms is to eliminate the balljoint onto the hub and replace it with something much stronger and better... as far as I can understand anyway.

Tom Fenton

Peter, how does that work? I mean, how will fore or aft movement of the strut achieve camber?

Peter probably missed out typing "on turn" at the end of his post.

Best example is older Mercs, they run lots of caster, if you've ever seen one lock the wheels over to full lock, the "outside" wheel leans in quite noticeably hence giving a fair camber increase on turning.

Mac Crash

Ah so... understood, and so negative castor (not that you'd want this) will introduce positive camber when turning?