• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Andy

Full Respray

Andy

Evening,

I am in the process of reducing my 1992 1.9 gti to a bare shell . It is then off for a full respray after I have done a few repairs and properly dealt with the underside. Currently it is graphite( neatly black but not quite) Question is, should I stick with the original colour or make a change, and if so, to what. Lovely dilemma, so opinions sought.

Andy

barneys66

Original gets my vote, even more so as it's graphite!

Don't forget the pics

chrisj21

Personally I'd try to keep it original if you can, although I suppose it depends on what your trying to achieve? Is it being restored to original or modified?

Graphites a nice colour, Miami or alpine/bianca are two of my personal favourites.

Originality is always going to hold price better.

dobboy

Original for me, especially as i like that colour too

Andy

The car is pretty standard but with some non-original features, including the seats, brakes and front suspension and some items in the engine bay. I rather like the Miami blue, but with a red carpet....... As for resale value, that is not my prime concern. Old English White is also pretty cool. decisions , decisions, and thanks for your input.

Andy

AlexRS2782

About a decade or more ago, with the modification scene the way it was, you could probably have changed colour and it would be fine (I still remember when people were painting the cars Ford Citrine Yellow or in candy flip paints).

Nowadays with 205's firmly heading into classic territory and rising prices for decent examples, I'd say originality is your best bet tbh.

barneys66

Agree with all of the above - mine has suspension, cage, buckets, etc, but no irreversible mods as I want a nod to the originality. I know paint isn't irreversible, but it's such a massive 'modification' it's as good as in the eyes of the beholder.

Then again, it's your car so do as you please!

nomis

I personally love the graphite grey colour, so I'd go for that. (I prefer it to my black).

The changing the colour of a car thing is interesting, for some buying classics it is a definite no-no.

Sometimes though it can go ok.

As an example, my mum has a Mercedes 280 SL Pagoda that she's owned for about 25 years. It's a non-original, non-standard blue colour, but it looks great and she gets a lot of good comments on it and invariably a fair few end with 'I will buy your car, if you'll sell it.'

erbs

here is mine in the process of completion in graphite grey,i love this colour.

I would also say that keep it original.

IMG_1011_zpsmugmpddl.jpg

Andy

thank you for all your helpful comments.Interested in the comment about preferring graphite to black. My thoughts were Miami, White, black or graphite. With the red carpet which I have ( which is in good condition) I think that I am limited with the choice of colours anyway, so I will stick with the Graphite.

Andy