• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Ams

Replacing Front Dampers - Castor Query.

Ams

Hello, I'm looking for advice on what to do with the front dampers, they are the last suspension related item left to deal with on my car. I currently have worn Bilstein Challenge N dampers (with Eibach Pro-S springs).

I'm seeing an opportunity to either:

• Replace front dampers with new Bilstein Challenge N's - cheaper option and no doubt I'll feel an overall improvement.
  • Replace with recommended front coilovers that include adjustable topmounts - not as cheap but allows the opportunity to increase castor and corner weight the vehicle.

I'm keen to know from members experiences about castor adjustment. I have a VTS 2.6 PAS rack and to be honest when pressing on it feels a little lazy/overly light - am I right in thinking that this is because the 205's factory castor angle is optimised to work with non-PAS systems? I'd like to know if there is enough castor gain physically available that translates to a real world improvement on a 205's handling feel to justify a decent adjustable topmount coilover platform. Several previous cars I've owned had such adjustability and, after a few different castor settings (in conjunction with camber and toe adjustments) always resulted in considerable improvement to steering feel.

Please feel free to correct me on any of my thinking. I'd just hate to miss a trick by sticking with the fixed platform Bilstein Challenge dampers. I'm unsure of what to do so any advice is welcome.

PS - Vehicle is fast road only, currently the easiest coilover option within budget and requirements appears to be front Gaz Golds with eccentric top mounts and selectable spring rates to compliment rear 21.3mm torsion bars.

welshpug

you can replace just the inserts in the challenge dampers, theyre the same construction as the group a height adjustable units, you could even buy a sleeve to convert your legs to a height adjustable unit.

I'd certainly rate them highly over gaz.

• Like 1

Tom Fenton

The more caster the better, use eccentric top mounts set to full caster then achieve camber via rose jointed lower arms.

• Like 1

Miles

Bilstein can do any spec (Within reason) inserts now which fit into the std bodies or go for there coilovers, Product range is expanding soon so will update when I can, The problem with 205's is the std tolerances are way out so it's hit and miss if you get a good one, If you do then great otherwise it's a case of buying everything that is adjustable and set up as it should be,

As for cheap coilovers then steer well clear, more hassle and less performance over the Bilstein dampers

• Like 1

Ams

Thanks for the feedback.

Admittedly I would much rather have the Bilstein coilover kit for the front with eccentric topmounts. I just didn't know where to find a set, rough price or the correct specification. If you supply their kit Miles do let me know if possible.

The more caster the better, use eccentric top mounts set to full caster then achieve camber via rose jointed lower arms.

I recently fitted new 309 GTI wishbones, unlike the previous set they're closely matched camber wise but would their lack of adjustability limit castor gain? Like the oft-discussed driveshaft/hub issues that can occur with too much camber, can oddities arise with max castor with non adjustable wishbones?

Edited by Ams

allanallen

If you're adding castor by moving the top of the strut you wont run into issues with your wishbones or driveshafts.

• Like 1

Mac Crash

Definitely the way to do it... and say goodbye forever to ovalled hubs at the same time.

• Like 1