• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
nomis

Remote Central Locking And Hazard Lights

nomis

Hi folks,

When I open my H Reg GTi with the key rather than the remote control it starts the hazard lights flashing and they won't go off once the car is started. In fact they stay on permanently, which is not idea when driving. Anyone have this same problem or know of a fix?

Is it the car and the central locking - or is it the aftermarket immobiliser doing it?

Reason this has cropped up is that I have a rectangular one button bipper for my H-Reg GTi remote control. It has been working intermittently and the flashing light has been dimmer - it has now stopped opening the door altogether.

I have tracked down what I think is the fault - which is dodgy battery contacts, because if I take the top of the bipper case off and pinch them in with the new battery I got for it, it works fine.

This is a bit similar to this thread here but as I am specifically asking about the hazards and central locking vs using the key, I though I'd start a new one here that may help people find info in future.

Cheers

j_turnell

What is the aftermarket immobiliser you have fitted? A lot off alarms splice into the hazard switch, its worth pulling it out and tracing the wires back to see if this is the case. Wires 48 and 49 are the ones used. It could well be an issue with your immobiliser, if not then it may be an bad earth or short in the wiring. Worth swapping over your hazzard switch also if you have a spare.

Try bending the contacts inwards slightly on your blipper to see if they make better contact. Use a multimeter to test the batteries out of the blipper and then test on each contact either side with them fitted, the voltage should be the same ideally.

nomis

Can't remember off the top of my head but actually have the paperwork from when a previous owner fitted it, so will check.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to open my car with a key without then facing permanent hazards, so that's a good tip.

Where is the hazard switch?

Car is going into an auto electrics place to try and sort a pinking issue next week, so I could get them to have a look at it.

I tried bending contacts in but doesn't work unless I actually squeeze them myself while pressing button.

Thinking a little shim to push them in and hold battery tighter could work.

Ozymandis

"Aftermarket"!

That`s the first place i would look.

welshpug

that'll be the alarm being triggered from not being disabled by the fob, siren speaker probably dead, also immobilising function bypassed.

nomis

Problem temporarily solved. I think it was connected to the battery having been replaced - I recall it does this after battery has been disconnected. Locking and unlocking once with the key fob solves it and then you can just unlock using the key no problems.

Not really a long term solution if the bipper ever does properly die but short term I now don't have to worry about driving around with hazards on.

Hadn't thought about the fact that the alarm siren could be gone and that it should actually be making a noise too.