• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Contigo

Tyre Sizes

Contigo

Ok, I collected the 205 this weekend and noticed a squeaking from the rear are under cornering. It appears under closer inspection around the wheel arch area that there is not enough room for the tyre to clear the arch at the inside. When cornering this is pushing the tyre against the inner arch area and causing a rubbing sound.

The tyres that are on there are sized as 185/60/14's which are fine on front in terms of space but on the rear they sit really high, 60 seems way thick a sidewall and for me they should be much lower profile like 45's or 50's.

Alloys been freshly refurbed and tyres are Goodyears.

12471897_10154354003025016_5099918446639

For me this does not look right, wheels seem to fit way to far into the arches and I think I may need to source some spacers?

12507697_10154354003700016_3020005309563​

All advice appreciated :D

Thanks

Phil

welshpug

60 is the correct profile on the 14" wheel, if you want less sidewall you can use the 15" wheels with their original 55 profile or go for a 195 50.

if the tyres are rubbing you need a beam rebuild!

Edited by welshpug

Henry Yorke

Stand behind your car with your eyes at the rear bumper level and look at your back wheels.

If they look like |---------| then your beam is fine.

If they look like /---------\ then you need a rebuild (and it it is rubbing then there is a chance you may need a new beam tube too)

• Like 1

Peetypug

And if they look like this /------------| or this |------------------\ it's knackered as well

toolie72

As above-beam. I didn't even notice mine whilst driving!?!? Mot man took me aside for a word-top edge of tyre had been rubbing inner arch on drivers side

Pin was gone as well as bearings-tube itself was ok so not expensive just a b@@lache

Make or get a sliding hammer then life will be good

Miles

If's it's gone that far then the tube itself with more than likely be beyond repair as well so bar the trailing arms and drums, Mounts will be the only parts that can be re-used, Not a cheap fix to be done right if keeping her, but while out Brake lines and dropping the fuel tanks a good idea to re-seal it all up again

Contigo

Mate had a look under it and it seems the bearings on the beam are not in great shape. I might just order the reconstructed beam off Ebay and have him fit that whole thing. He said that is all that needs doing, everything else like shocks, discs, drums and underside look in good shape.

Any recommendations for how to do it the best way?

Miles

Be wary of the Ebay beams, No or difficult warranties and when you price up OE parts your looking at a fair bit of money, Most of them use Chinese parts which are nothing like GTi beams, Have even had them in with base model torsion bar's, Non GTi beam tube's, Wrong colours and wrong bolts to name a few, Give you an idea a Mint beam from me would start at £450.00 upwards depending on final spec

Simes

Go for the above or any other reputable builder of beams on this forum, there are a few.

Contigo

Be wary of them? The one I see around the £375 mark looks great but what do I know?

There are also used beams with drums for £150 so I guess it is decisions decisions.

Alan_M

Be wary of used beams as it's hard to tell if they're shagged or not, even if they still move!

It's getting harder to find decent beams now, took me 3 beams before I found a good tube (and all of those were 'free-moving'!).

welshpug

the most I have ever paid for a donor beam is £40, the parts to rebuild them is around £100-150,

Best approach is to start with taking your beam off, you can have a look at the chassis, drop the tank, give it fresh brake lines etc,

Contigo

Have sourced a refurbed beam with 2 year warranty for £200, that will do for now.

My windscreen shattered last night!!! left demist on....

dawning

Your windscreen shatter from the demister..?!

Contigo

Yep no word of a lie it has burnt rubbers and everything!

tartanbloke

I think you may a bigger issue than you realise if there is burnt rubbers and a shattered windcreen.

Contigo

I think you may a bigger issue than you realise if there is burnt rubbers and a shattered windcreen.

Really? It seems it can happen if the demister stays on or is too efficient. How it stayed live with key off I really don't know but it certainly needs investigating!

Tom Fenton

I don't think the heater on a 205 can possibly generate enough heat to crack the screen, even with the engine running. Sounds unfortunately more like you have suffered an electrical fire perhaps?

• Like 1

Contigo

Could be but I have read many reports saying that if there is a short against the body then it can shatter the glass no problems. Google "rear shield screen demister shattered" or something like that and there are many reports of the same thing happening. Until I get back to the UK I can't see first hand what has happened.

tartanbloke

For clarity, has the Windscreen shattered with evidence of burn marks or has the rear screen shattered with evidence of burn marks?

You may be confusing the issue or attempting to find a solution with the wrong information.

allye

I'm going to run 175/70's on my 1.6 wheels! Added comfort and gearing.

Tom Fenton

I'm going to run 175/70's on my 1.6 wheels! Added comfort and gearing.

Added woolly steering and lack of response! Winner!

Are you sure??