• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tyasman

Leaky 205 Gti

tyasman

I have a 1990 205 gti which has a serious leak problem. The rear offside floor well is full of water. I know we have had serious rain problems recently, but has anyone got any ideas where I should start looking?

There is no sign of water tracking into the car- I just have soaking carpets.

Thanks for replies

snooks

A good place to start looking would be the rear window seals.

Anthony

Most likely the rear window as above, but check the sill drains are clear as well - if they're blocked, the sill fills with water and then leaks in through the seat belt holes without leaving any trace. A "sloshing" noise as you accelerate and brake is a giveaway the sill isn't draining.

nomis

Mine does this occasionally. Only happens sometimes, I think dependent on how car is parked / which way wind and rain is coming. It's my rear window seal, which looks in reasonable condition and has been sealed shut by a previous owner. Still lets in some water though as I have seen it do it after washing the car. Then comes down trim at side, under side of seat and into footwell.

Luckily it seems rare enough that I just keep an eye on it.

Is yours all the time?

tyasman

Thanks Simon (Nomis). I've had damp on the floor before, but nothing like the present problem. Also got a pool of water under the rear seat cushion. I think I'll try the rear window seals first. There is a slight weep from the window as you mentioned above, but I can't believe this is the sole cause due to the amount of water in the foot well. Think I may have to buy it a "shower cap"!

tyasman

Thanks Anthony,

Where are the rear sill drains situated? It seems I have to take the seats and runners out to get the carpet out.
Thanks

nomis

Tyasman, that's what's weird about mine. Occasionally I will get a pool of water under the seat or a soaking floor, other times dry as a bone.

steve@cornwall

Mine only leaks here when I park it facing downhill.

mac73

This happened to me but on the opposite side and after ripping carpets and soundproofing out found the bottom corner of front windowseal was the problem but only discovered it when the scuttle panel was removed!