• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

mowflow

1.6 Hubs Availability

mowflow

I've stripped my hub carriers down and now need to replace the bearings and the hubs.

Bearings are no issue but all the hubs I can see at the usual online places list them for cars with ABS. can these be fitted to a non ABS 1.6?

welshpug

abs cars used 1.9 hubs, are your drive flanges damaged?

mowflow

The drive flanges are fine but all the brake disc screws sheered so they'd all need drilled plus I had to drill the staked drive shaft nuts so there's marking from that.

They are probably usable but I'd feel more comfortable replacing.

This maybe comes back to my earlier question on whether it's worth just changing to 1.9 hubs. If its already difficult to find replacement 1.6 items what's it going to be like in the future.

j_turnell

It's easy to drill and tap out the disk retaining screws, you could run without as they aren't essential.

If your thinking of changing hubs, you'd probably be better off changing to base model hubs. This will allow you to keep the 1.6 driveshafts, just fit 1.9 disks, and will give you better brake options in the future with the change in offset.

Edited by j_turnell
  • Like 1

Ryan

Don't worry about the disc retaining screws. They're only really there to help during assembly at the factory. They're not needed as the wheel bolts are what actually holds everything together.

• Like 1

mowflow

I have a pedestal drill so in theory the brake screws should be easy. The drill damage I caused was more of a concern.

Base model hubs are something I hadn't thought about. I was going to fit 1.9 calipers with 1.6 discs. So if I fitted base model hubs what would the combination be? My 1.6 carriers with base bearings and hubs then 1.9 calipers and base disks or would 1.9 fit?

Anthony

Base model hubs are the same offset as 1.9, so you just use the complete 1.9 brake setup - ie 1.9 calipers and 1.9 disks.

Its just 1.6 hubs that have the different offset and hence disks.

(I'm assuming you're talking the complete hub assembly as removed from the car and not just the hub flange itself)

mowflow

I have the whole assembly off the car and in bits. I'm not 100% on correct names for all bits but the bit I'm talking is 1 cast/machined piece. It has the 4 wheel bolt holes and sits inside the bearing. Is that called the hub flange? I thought it was the hub and it sat in the hub carrier.

I was originally just going to change to a full 1.9 set up as I need new shafts as well. 1.9 carriers are a problem to find so I decided to stick with 1.6 as my carriers are not ovalled. However, finding replacement hubs (flanges) for 1.6 is proving difficult. Seems to be no end of 1.9 ones on ebay for some reason but I don't trust the compatibility listings on eBay.

mowflow

Uch FFS!

Thought I'd look for some base model hubs (flanges) on GSF with the weekend discount and it brings up a result which has 25 splines for the driveshaft where as the guide on here says 21 for 1.6 and base model. If I search via my reg it recognises it's a 1.6 but gives only abs hubs same as everywhere.

Miles

Most factor website's are wrong (Nothing new there), Peugeot number is 330749

The Hub's listed on factor sites fit loads of PSA car's, 306's etc as well as 1.9 205's

mowflow

Found some febi bilstein base model hubs with the part number above so have ordered those. £38 for the pair from Poland.

Thanks to all for the info.

Edited by mowflow