• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Silky

Idiots Guide To Wiring And Gauge Check

Silky

Idiots guide needed

None of the gauges on my clocks work apart from the speedo. Not sure if it's the clocks themselves or wiring.

I have a multi meter but no idea what I'm doing. I want to check to see what's broken.

Anyone able to tell me, in an idiots guide way, how I can test one of the gauges?

Thanks.

Silky

My heater blowers work, so do headlights, but indicators don't.

j_turnell

Sounds similar to the issues I was having. If it's still got the brown multiplug above the gearbox I would check that first as they are notorious for causing connection problems.To test the wiring/sensors put the ignition on and ground each wire to the block/battery negative, the lights should come on and gauges move for each sensor.

This might help you out.

Plugs in the 205

9 Pin Brown connector

1. Reverse light (wire 52, brown)
2. Reverse light (wire 53, purple)
3. Coolant light (wire 47, yellow)
4. Coolant meter (wire 47a, red)
5. Alternator (wire 7a, brown thin wire)
6. Oil pressure meter (wire 30, lilac)
7. Oil temp meter (wire 30a, white)
8. Oil pressure light (wire 30b, grey)
9. Switched positive (wire 2, light blue)

6 Pin Brown connector

1. Coolant fluid level (wire 47b)
2. Fuel pump (wire 76)
3. Coolant fluid level (wire M47B)
4. RPM meter (wire 112)
5. K-Light (wire 74)
6. Starter motor (wire 46)

• Like 1

Tom Fenton

Have you checked all the fuses? If the cluster is dead there is likely no power to it.

Silky

Have you checked all the fuses? If the cluster is dead there is likely no power to it.

The fuel gauge goes straight to full, so am thinking there must be some power. Tank isn't full though so is obviously wrong.

Silky

Sounds similar to the issues I was having. If it's still got the brown multiplug above the gearbox I would check that first as they are notorious for causing connection problems.To test the wiring/sensors put the ignition on and ground each wire to the block/battery negative, the lights should come on and gauges move for each sensor.

How do I do the test. What setting has the multi meter got to be on?

Do I touch one end to battery and one end to each wire. If so, what reading should it give for a working gauge?

Sorry for silly questions but I don't know how to use one and am learning....slowly.

j_turnell

You don't necessarily need to use a multi meter. The sensor only has one wire going to it the signal wire/ live. It earths through the sensor itself. So if you put the ignition on and then remove the spade from each sensor and earth it to then block with a bit of wire the light should come on/gauge go to full if the wiring is sound.

Sounds like you have an earth problem or a short somewhere going by your symptoms. Try the above first and see what happens.

• Like 1

jackherer

The fuel gauge goes straight to full, so am thinking there must be some power. Tank isn't full though so is obviously wrong.

Check the wiring for the tank sender, it starts under the back seat and goes under the passenger seat to the fuse box area, it might have got pinched or caught somewhere, or it could have got damp, IIRC you've had issues with leaks and you've had some welding done so either of those could have damaged the wiring.

• Like 1