• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stevietuck

Can Anyone Tell Me What These Are? (Gti Rear Beam)

stevietuck

Can anyone tell me what these are please?

DSCN1584.jpg

DSCN1583.jpg

They go behind the brake back plate, at least they do on a gti beam, but I dont have them on my standard beam.

I have been stripping the gti beam and painting it ( that red paint in not the finished article by the way lol!) ready to fit to my 205 diesel. The beam Iv'e taken off didn't have these, so im unsure what they do and if I should use them?

Cheers steve.

Tom Fenton

Not a standard part. Those brake back plates are base model (oval hole for wheel cylinder) not GTI (round hole). Base drums are narrower than GTI. Looks like someone has made some spacers to make the base model back plates work with GTI drums maybe?

Ozymandis

Those are Girling 32mm shoe width backplates and some home made spacers.

Not a standard part. Those brake back plates are base model (oval hole for wheel cylinder) not GTI (round hole). Base drums are narrower than GTI. Looks like someone has made some spacers to make the base model back plates work with GTI drums maybe?

Respectfuly Tom, but many base model backplates have round holes for Bendix cylinders, its only the base Girling that have oval holes.

stevietuck

Thanks for the info guys.

I'm going to be using standard width shoes and drums, so I think I will just leave them off. What do you think guys?

Cheers steve.

Tom Fenton

Those are Girling 32mm shoe width backplates and some home made spacers.

Respectfuly Tom, but many base model backplates have round holes for Bendix cylinders, its only the base Girling that have oval holes.

I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, it's years since I did much with base model rear brakes. But are they not all Girling and the oval cylinders have a pressure limiting valve in, and only GTI have Bendix with a separate limiter valve?

Ozymandis

I still service base model diesels(I like working on them,its the simplicity),

my experience is most have 32mm wide Bendix and "handed" cylinders with limiters in.

These have a round hole that looks like its for a GTi "unhanded" unlimited cylinder.They have an M12 pipe fitting to stop inadvertently using an "unhanded" cylinder.

The oval hole 32mm Girling are handed and limited too but use a standard M10.

Of the 5 diesel cars we still have only the 93 4 door has Girling.

I havent seen a GTi with 42mm Bendix though, all have been Girling.

Sad i know all this, must get out more.

As to the O/P, chuck away the backplates and spacers keep the wide drums and get some GTi backplates with 42mm wide shoes.