• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

mrblonde

Wheel Alignment Essex

mrblonde

Looking to get my wheel alignmnet done this week,anyone recommend or used any of these places in essex?

Elitedirect

Tyresmart

Thetyreshop

AMD

BK Performance

jackherer

I've used Elitedirect before and I can highly recommend them. They have a brilliant Hunter alignment machine and had no problem with a 205 that had eccentric top mounts and various other non standard suspension parts.

• Like 1

mrblonde

Ah ok mate cool,how much did they charge there?.did you just turn up or book it in?

jackherer

I can't remember the price, it was a while ago! It wasn't cheap but it wasn't excessive either, when you see the machine they have you can see where every penny has gone. I definitely booked in advance, but only by an hour or two.

sp_en_ny

I have not used any of them but have used jet wheels in Benfleet. Found them too be good. I think they charge about a tenner too check it and than about £40 too make any adjustments. What I liked is they call you out and show you the display showing any alignment issues.

GLPoomobile

Used Elite for my 205 years ago. Seemed good, no complaints, and I don't remember flinching at the price. I booked in advance.

mrblonde

Think I'm going to try Elite as quiet a few have said about the place,

j_turnell

I'd use somewhere with hunter hawk eye equipment. If your on coilovers worth looking at the corner weights also.

mrblonde

Not on coilovers but i have heard of that machine,thats meant to be the best and im sure elite have a few of them.

mrblonde

Think im going to give The Tyre Shop in Witham ago,as good reviews on pistonheads and good price £36,as only going to need the tracking done.

jackherer

I'd use somewhere with hunter hawk eye equipment.

Yes, that's what they have at Elite, lasers shining from fixed points high up on the back wall, it really is a very impressive machine.

It's just as important that the operator knows what they are doing too, that was the main thing that impressed me about Elite.

Think im going to give The Tyre Shop in Witham ago,as good reviews on pistonheads and good price £36,as only going to need the tracking done.

I had a really bad job done once by a tyre place in Witham so I just googled it to check and it wasn't the Tyre Shop!

The only other place I have used that I'd recommend is Wheels In Motion but they are miles away - http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/

mrblonde

oh ok mate cool,im in Harlow so driving to rainham or witham aint to local,but i fancy a little drive!.no place around harlow that i think is good enough

Tom Fenton

I wouldn't get too hung up, on a standard 205 there is only 1 adjustment!

jackherer

While that is true the average tyre fitter wont be taking the steering wheel off and re-centering the rack which a lot of older cars need and a full alignment check will often turn up other issues, knackered rear beams normally on 205s but also crash damage.

• Like 1

dawning

You mention taking the steering wheel off and centering the rack but as far as I can tell the collum has square ends so can only be fitted in one place.

I ask because I recently replaced the suspension arms, track rods and steering collum on my 205 xs, when I put it all back together the steering wheel was about 15 degrees out. I lined up the track rods with the old ones on a micrometer before I put them on as the tracking was fine originaly. The steering feels light and vague as if it is toeing out so I will need to look at the tracking.

Anthony

Steering wheel is spline fit onto the upper column

Tom Fenton

You mention taking the steering wheel off and centering the rack but as far as I can tell the collum has square ends so can only be fitted in one place.

Correct on later cars, but the wheel is splined to the upper column, so you can leave the connection to the rack alone and move the wheel. Simple way is wind the wheel all the way one direction, note where it stops. Count the turns to the other lock, note where it stops. Position the rack half way between the two. Now take the steering wheel off and position it so its pointing straight ahead. Then track it, adjusting both sides equally to keep the rack centred. The problems come from tyre fitters adjusting the tracking all from one side which puts the rack off centre.

dawning

Cheers for the replys, very helpfull.

Rich_p

Mark Fish motorsport is on the edge of Harlow.

I've not used them myself but they have been preparing race cars for donkeys years so should know what they are doing so it may be worth giving them a call, their website mentions geo set ups.

Tom Fenton

I'm sure Mark Fish can do a good job, but on a standard 205 theres only tracking and rack position that can be adjusted.

I can do that to an accurate standard in my garage with 30 year old optical Dunlop tracking gauges.

If on the other hand you have a car with adjustable rose joint wishbones, eccentric top mounts, adjustable platform coilovers, then absolutely worth having it corner weighed and set up, as theres enough adjustability to achieve something.

mrblonde

Yeah i got a price of £60 from Mark,i thought was bit much as only doing the front toe.But i would use him for other work defo.

I went to Elite in the end only £36

Rich_p

I may take the Lotus down to Mark fish after xmas and get that set up, I've got no record of when it was done last.