• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

forbeslongden

Drivers Door Just Won't Open.

forbeslongden

Hey there chaps,

My 1.6 is being an absolute bell-end. Recently after a journey I found when I came back to my car, the central locking wouldn't engage leaving me with a permanently locked vehicle, I found that both the boot and passenger door were still able to be opened but the drivers door just won't budge, I tried lifting the pin from the inside of the car which after some force the locks engaged but locked down again as soon as I let go.

More worryingly, the lock wouldn't release after checking each fuse and disconnecting the battery... How on Earth am I going to sort this out please?

To sum up, the drivers side is locked down, the inside handle and outside handle won't open the car even when the pin is forced up with pliers...

Plumbob

What happens if you just use the key in the door?

Can't you just take the interior handle/door bin off and take off the door card, disconnect the rods, open the door and then see what the score is?

forbeslongden

The key doesn't seem to do anything at all, it'll turn with what seems to be a little resistance.

Would the drivers seat not be in the way of removing the door pocket? I've only ever removed one from the outside with the door open.... :/

hoodygoodwood

Have had this happen myself , the handle that you lift then moves a metal lever that is riveted in the middle as a pivot point . The pivot corrodes up solid so when you release the handle it sticks . Obviously getting to it is going to be difficult so I would try spraying lots of penetrating oil down onto the mechanism once you have removed the glass seal , then cycle the handle and sees if it frees up . I had to remove the drivers seat then the door card and move the lever by hand .

• Like 1

welshpug

yep, that! ↑

• Like 1

forbeslongden

I had a feeling that the drivers seat may have had to come out, thankfully I changed the carpet in the car very recently so it'll give me a chance to Waxoyl the floorpan I guess....

I'll try the greasing option first though, thanks gents.

Plumbob

ah there you go.

Edited by Plumbob
  • Like 1

Tom Fenton

You can get the door card off without removing the seat, I have done it before.

• Like 1

forbeslongden

Shall also try that option too!