• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

humanz

No Lights! Headlights, Tall Lights, Park Lights, Instrument Lights

humanz

In fact it seems the only lights that are now working are the roof light, indicators, and warning lights. I'm not sure about the stop lights, but the headlights, park lights, instrument panel, heater controls and hazard light switch (etc.) all not working. Not even the instrument lights that let you know that the park lights are on are working.

A few days ago, this happened but the problem rectified itself. Friday night the lights refused to come on and I've checked fuses (will recheck) and swapped the horn /lights combination switch with a faulty one I have (no high beam) but the lights have not come back on. I checked the headlight bulbs (don't look blown) but I don't think the problem is there as so many lights suddenly stopped working.

Going to recheck the grounds for the headlights but I can't think where else to look. Have I missed something obvious?

benny205mi16

I am no expert when it comes to electrics by any means, but I am currently having problems with my front indicators and I have traced that to be an earth problem, seams to be quite common that the earth connections cause many issues.

humanz

I found the culprit. Turns out, something went wrong.

post-7319-0-47430500-1447880578_thumb.jpg

This was the connector coming from the combination switch to the fuseboard. I replaced the wire and the connector from a spare harness I had. I've also taken the time to install two relays for dim-dip, and the difference in the lights is amazing.

Still don't know what caused the fire though.

post-7319-0-47430500-1447880578_thumb.jpg

jackherer

Are you headlight bulbs higher wattage than they should be? That's always been the cause every time I've seen that.

humanz

No idea. Can't remember what's in the headlights. Don't think they're higher than normal. They've always looked very dim, at least until I installed relays (after this happened).

humanz

No.

Off topic: Car won't start after having sat for almost a week. Was hoping to have an electrician round this weekend but the guy never showed. Tried jump starting it but it wouldn't start. So haven't been worrying about the bulbs.

On topic, I find Jackherer's solution hard to believe as these lights have been in the car for years and were never very bright, and since replacing the connector above I also wired in two relays for dim dip and the lights were even brighter the two days I drove the car. But will take his advice and replace the bulbs once I get the car running again.

Edit: have had a read through the topic linked in Telf's post and think I see part of the problem. I had no relays installed at the time so bulbs drawing power directly from the fuse board. Will definitely check the wattage on the headlight bulbs and let you all know my findings.

Edited by humanz

jackherer

The melting of the plug happens over a long period of time.

When I've seen it the cars have been working fine for multiple years with excess wattage bulbs then eventually the lights cut out.

Sometimes the bulbs have even been removed after the damage has been done but before symptoms show.

But every time I have seen that plug melted there has been a high wattage bulb fitted or the owner has admitted to me they've had them fitted in the past.

humanz

The current bulbs are 60/55. Only thing is, one bulb is an osram and I have no idea where it came from. It probably came with the headlight.

I'm now running two relays for the lights, so I don't foresee this happening again.