• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

johnnyboy666

Wobbling Gearstick On Exceleration

johnnyboy666

Yesterday my XRAD developed a wobbling gearstick when excelerating, most noticable in 2nd-3rd-4th.

My immediate thought was a dodgy driveshaft, but they were both new about 8 months ago.

The drivers wheel bearing was done about 6 months ago, and I was about to do the passengers one this week coincidentally.

Both lower arms are 6 months old, as are the track rod ends.

Is changing the wheel bearing likely to remedy this or should I be looking at something else whilt I've got the hub off?

Only other thing to note is that a wheel weight came off the passengers side wheel a few weeks ago, but doesnt cause any steering wheel wobble at any speed so havent been in a rush to get it re-balanced.

Answers on a postcard!

jackherer

It could be the bottom engine mount.

Anthony

Failed inner CV can cause this - just because its nearly new doesn't mean that its good, especially given how shoddy some "recon" driveshafts are.

johnnyboy666

Wouldve thought the engine mount would build up over time rather than starting to wobble suddenly, but I'll give it a check nontheless.

They were 'new' shafts rather than recon ones, but I really would not be surprised if it is the shafts. Considering the seller had to send me 3 different shafts before they got the correct part says it all really!

I'm beginning to really hate driveshafts. They seem to need changing more often than the oil!

johnnyboy666

Is there any way to check if a shaft has died once i've taken it off?

dobboy

Surely if it was a shaft prob it would do it at constant speed too?

Accelerating, the engine will be leaning back, so maybe points more to a mount, or maybe even something to do with gear linkage/bracket?

johnnyboy666

There is a small amount of movement at constant speed but much more when I floor it.

Tom Fenton

Inner CV knackered. Had this a few times myself. Off load or on overrun the cv centres itself so no wobble. Accelerate and it lobs which is what you see through gearlever.

johnnyboy666

Ugh as I suspected then. Wish I hadn't lost the receipt when I moved, these shafts were supposed to have a two year guarantee :/

johnnyboy666

Update. Just fitted a new passenger wheel bearing and passenger shaft that had about 500 miles on it, and no change :(

Which leads me to believe that either the spare shaft i fitted is also knackered, the drivers shaft is knackered, or there's something else I've overlooked.

Just ordered all 3 engine mounts to see if that helps (something I was going to do before the engine swap anyway)

Double checked all bushes and ball joints whilst I was down there, they're all good.

Alastairh

I've had this before. Drivers shaft inner cv or the bearing that sits in the engine mount for the shaft.

Al

johnnyboy666

Well that's the drivers shaft changed and new engine mounts in today. Problem solved, cheers chaps. Lets see if this one lasts longer!

• Like 1

dobboy

What do you think it was out of interest? Shaft or mount or combination?

johnnyboy666

Not sure to be honest. The lower mount had seen better days, but it's not the first time I've had this problem with this suppliers shafts (j&r)

Or it could be the horrendously pothole ridden road to my unit taking its toll!

• Like 1