• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Silky

Front Strut + Hub....how Heavy?

Silky

The complete strut and hub assembly, with calipers and pads/discs all attached.

The stuff on my XS is all new (or near enough)

Not sure what the stuff is like on my GTI.

I upgraded all the XS stuff to 1.6 GTI and my Miami is originally 1.6 GTI as well.

So my thinking was to undo the lower pinch bolt, undo brake hose from caliper and then unbolt strut from top (droplink etc too)

Then lift out the whole lot in one and swap it over.

I'm selling the XS and have spent quite a bit of money on the front suspension parts. If it's just too much hassle then I'll not bother.

Obstructions I can see to this would be a snapped bleed nipple on a caliper and getting the hose off the caliper while trying to keep it all as one unit. Also, the weight of the strut/hub/brakes etc, surely too much for me.

I have limited time to do it of a weekend so thought this might be the quicker way but running it through my mind I'm probably best leaving the cars as they are and just taking a hit on the XS

Anthony

Complete strut and hub assembly isn't that heavy - it's more just that it's a little unwieldy.

Silky

The calipers on the XS are NOS and have new bleed nipples, so not too worried about those.

Not yet checked the state of the GTI, but would assume they'll be rusty and no doubt break. Then I'm in a bit of bother.
My heart tells me to swap it all over as I paid good money for the parts and it doesn't seem to be helping the sale of the XS.

My head tells me it'll be too much effort for little gain, hours spent swapping it around on my driveway with one jack and a pair of axle stands.