• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Juttie205

Brake Pipe Fittings

Juttie205

Im just starting to sort my copper pipe and new compensators out can someone tell wht size fittings i need as ive heard the one side of the compensator is better than the other.

thanks

welshpug

10x1.0 one side 12x1.0 the other

magown3

I've just started to renew my lines with new copper ones.

What exactly does the compensator do and how does it work?

Should I be buying new ones or just giving the old ones a good clean?

Cheers

Anthony

The brake compensator valves limit brake pressure to the rear brakes, preventing them prematurely locking up.

If they work fine then they can be re-used without issue.

Juttie205

on the male fittings can i use the short ones or do i need the longer ones?.

magown3

I have refurbished one of my rear calipers today. used all but the 4 small rubber washers above the red caps. Anyone know where they go?? :-/

Cheers,

$(KGrHqUOKpgE7G((ZN-pBRf-qS,L2g~~60_1.JP

Juttie205

prob just covers for the bleed screws.

Tom Fenton

Juttie read the post!!

Those are seals for the handbrake shaft from memory.

• Like 1

magown3

Juttie read the post!!

Those are seals for the handbrake shaft from memory.

Cheers,

Handbrake cable would make sense tho there was nothing similar on the old rubbers.

rallysteve

The two flat seals directly above the red bleed nipple covers are for the handbrake shaft as stated. The two o-rings above that fit into the bore where the handbrake ratchet shaft passes from the cylinder to the handbrake pawl/spring/shaft.

• Like 1

magown3

The two flat seals directly above the red bleed nipple covers are for the handbrake shaft as stated. The two o-rings above that fit into the bore where the handbrake ratchet shaft passes from the cylinder to the handbrake pawl/spring/shaft.

Cheers,

So they both go "inside" the larger rubber. There was a lot of grease inside it, I removed a lot of the grease but not tall of it. Were the 2 rubber rings in there?

rallysteve

Sorry maybe my description wasnt clear. If you remove the piston you will be left with a shaft which has a funny thread on it which allows the handbrake auto adjustment for pad wear. Where that shaft passes through the aluminium caliper body an o-ring seals the shaft. Otherwise all the brake fluid would leak out of the handbrake mechanism.

To replace it you need to withdraw the handbrake shaft/lever and spring (trying not to loose the pawl!). You can then pull the threaded shaft out of the caliper body. If you look down the bore once you have removed the threaded shaft you should see the o ring hiding.

One o-ring in each caliper.

Hope that helps

Steve

Edited by rallysteve

magown3

Sorry maybe my description wasnt clear. If you remove the piston you will be left with a shaft which has a funny thread on it which allows the handbrake auto adjustment for pad wear. Where that shaft passes through the aluminium caliper body an o-ring seals the shaft. Otherwise all the brake fluid would leak out of the handbrake mechanism.

To replace it you need to withdraw the handbrake shaft/lever and spring (trying not to loose the pawl!). You can then pull the threaded shaft out of the caliper body. If you look down the bore once you have removed the threaded shaft you should see the o ring hiding.

One o-ring in each caliper.

Hope that helps

Steve

Wow, great description. Appreciate that. I know where it is now. As it's all back assembled now I think I will leave it as it is. I'm sure it wil be fine.

I will look into replacing them on the second caliper tho.

Ta....

I only joined this forum last week and I can't believe the great knowledge and great help to be found in it.

Juttie205

Back on topic wht do people recommend for the male fittings long or short bodied ones.