• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Brad813

309 Gti Goodwood Brake Upgrade

Brad813

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to upgraded my front brakes on my 309 and am wondering which ones to go for?

If someone could advise me that would be great.

Thanks

Edited by Brad813

jackherer

It's the same as a 1.9 GTI 205 in terms of brakes so the same options are open to you but have you made sure your existing brakes are working properly and tried some proper pads because you probably don't need to upgrade them.

Brad813

My current brakes work perfectly fine, I'd just like to upgraded them slightly and was wondering what to go for. Thanks

Tom Fenton

Easiest way is some updated pads. Try Mintex 1144 or Ferodo DS2500

Brad813

Has anyone upgraded to bigger calipers?

Anthony

Various options for larger brakes - 306 GTi-6 is the most common and is a direct bolt on, but there's plenty of other choices like 306 XSi/HDi, 206 GTi, 307 HDi etc.

The bigger brakes aren't really needed in my opinion for a road going or occasional track used car providing that the standard setup is in good order with decent quality pads.

That's what people were getting at above - I tend to find that if people are looking at bigger brakes it's either because the existing setup is in need of attention or because they're used to the over-servo'd nature of most modern car brakes and thus the lack of initial sharpness and increased pedal effort feels like the brakes are poor.

• Like 2

Brad813

That's helped a lot thank you. My standard brakes are in perfect working order I've just seen people change them before to different set ups and was just wondering what could be bolted on.

Various options for larger brakes - 306 GTi-6 is the most common and is a direct bolt on, but there's plenty of other choices like 306 XSi/HDi, 206 GTi, 307 HDi etc.

The bigger brakes aren't really needed in my opinion for a road going or occasional track used car providing that the standard setup is in good order with decent quality pads.

That's what people were getting at above - I tend to find that if people are looking at bigger brakes it's either because the existing setup is in need of attention or because they're used to the over-servo'd nature of most modern car brakes and thus the lack of initial sharpness and increased pedal effort feels like the brakes are poor.

Anthony

Fair enough. 306 GTi-6 is probably the way to go in that case as they're readily available and cheap, with a good choice/availability of pads (you can use Clio 172/182 as well I believe)

You'll need calipers together with matching carriers, disks, pads, and longer front brake lines (some people get away without, but it is too tight on full lock IMO with the standard hoses)

Some people prefer to swap the master cylinder for a larger bore unit to keep pedal travel similar - the 23mm 4-port unit from an early 406 without ABS is a direct fit. You can retain the existing MC, but pedal travel will be a little longer as the GTi-6 calipers have larger (57mm) pistons compared to the standard 1.9/309 items.

You'll find masses of information if you do a search anyway :)

• Like 1

Brad813

Thank you so much Anthony for all the information it's been a great help, I'll do some more research and then look at buying some new brakes.

Fair enough. 306 GTi-6 is probably the way to go in that case as they're readily available and cheap, with a good choice/availability of pads (you can use Clio 172/182 as well I believe)

You'll need calipers together with matching carriers, disks, pads, and longer front brake lines (some people get away without, but it is too tight on full lock IMO with the standard hoses)

Some people prefer to swap the master cylinder for a larger bore unit to keep pedal travel similar - the 23mm 4-port unit from an early 406 without ABS is a direct fit. You can retain the existing MC, but pedal travel will be a little longer as the GTi-6 calipers have larger (57mm) pistons compared to the standard 1.9/309 items.

You'll find masses of information if you do a search anyway :)

Brad813

Also what year 405 would you buy a master cylinder from?

omega

its a 406 master cylinder

Brad813

Oops I read it wrong