• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
layton1985

Can I Use Springs Off Heavier Car On 205?

layton1985

Hi, I was wondering if I might be able to use springs from a heavier car to put on my 205 cti as I am putting a v6 engine in which is quite a bit heavier than the original engine, I have read the post how not to set up your suspension and another in depth topic but I'm still abit confused, (also it didn't cover my question anyway)

I want to keep the ride smooth,try and make best handling I can, at the minute I have new bilstein b4 dampers,new strut top mount kit,new bellows, refurbished cups etc all electroplated zinc yellow again, I just need to pick the right spring then build the legs up.

So spring too stiff will make it bounce like a pogo stick???

Springs too soft and the car will bottom out all the time?

Stu

I found the perfect compromise for me, with a GTI6 engine anyway, were 60mm lowering springs for a 306 D Turbo; i experimented with all types before settling, it now sits perfect and is a good increase in rate.

Not sure how the V6 compares in weight, but it might give you a starting point...

welshpug

I recall someone using something like a Skip Brown Gravel challenge spring, they were around the 160 lb rate and around standard ride height or slightly taller, but 60% odd stiffer than standard!

Anthony

Allye is (or certainly was) using some ZX Volcane 1.9i springs he got from me on his 309 V6 and reckoned that it was about perfect.

Something like 206 GTi springs might work quite well on a V6 if you want to retain something comparatively soft/comfortable, and certainly they will fit fine - most 06 generation Peugeot/Citroen stuff uses the same fitment springs, just a case of finding something with the correct spring rate, pre-load and ride height.

Maybe the Peter Lloyd Rallying 180lb tarmac springs might be an option too, although you'll be asking a lot of the B4's with that sort of spring rate I'd imagine. Those PLR springs are about standard height with a GTi-6 engine, so should be a little lower with a V6 but still retaining reasonable ground clearance.

allye

You need to remember about your down pipe, anything much lower than standard you'll be scraping speed bumps with it, I still do now even near standard height. As Anthony says I've got skip brown inserts which offer pretty decent damping and some Citroen springs so it's not rock hard.

To be honest it's not hugely heavier than a GTI6, around 20kgs including the gearbox if I remember, the same as a bag of spuds! The blocks are around the same weight just the ML5T boxes are beasts. Mine certainly still goes around a corner.

layton1985

Yeah I want to try and keep standard ride height, trying to learn a bit regards suspension set up but no matter what you learn from text books I can only learn what is compatible and what's not through you guys, as you've been there and done it, I appreciate it a lot.

I want to keep standard ride height

Keep a standard feel to the ride (maybe a tide firmer)

Want to keep as much handling as possible.

From what I've read the engine weight shouldn't be an issue as long as camber, ride height, strut stiffness and spring rate are correct so bearing all that in mind just lowering a standard 205 with factory engine can screw up the handling.

Does anyone know the standard gti spring rating as I will get springs which are a percentage stronger with respect to percentage v6 engine is heavier than standard??? Will this work?? Just an idea to start off with for now.

layton1985

Been looking at kerb weight,I think 206 gti is roughly 200kg heavier than the 205,the 306 is 315kg heavier than the 205, I know this is spread out over 4 corners, can anyone tell me if the standard height 306 gti springs will fit the 205 gti bilstein b4 dampers?

I think this combination would make up for the extra weight of the v6 plus keep a good ride height and comfort over bumpy roads

welshpug

they will fit, though I think will be too tall even with the extra weight.

206 front springs wont be that stiff as its got a fairly light all alloy engine and only a 5 speed box.

• Like 1

Stu

As above, even 30mm lowering springs from a GTI-6 were too high with the '6 engine in mine, hence me going -60's from a DT.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

Batfink

for reference the 206 uses the same aftermarket Eibach springs as the 106 - that should give an idea of front axle weight.

wicked

To be honest it's not hugely heavier than a GTI6, around 20kgs including the gearbox if I remember, the same as a bag of spuds! The blocks are around the same weight just the ML5T boxes are beasts. Mine certainly still goes around a corner.

Must be 20kg's without box... (imho)

I drove a 205 V6 once, but it felt way more than 20kg diff compared to 205gti6.

Could be that it's caused by the weight being more in front of the axle compared 4cyl engines??

I didn't like the handling anyway...

The v6 sound is really nice :wub: , but I would put a 30x shell around it.

Edited by wicked
  • Like 1