• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DJA

Rear Beam Recommendations - Sorry!

DJA

hi there, firstly apologies for raising this old chestnut but i'm in a bit of a fix and have done a bit of research here and elsewhere.

Car's been in storage for over 8 years and one side of the beam's pretty well seized and as you can imagine i'm eager to get back on the road.

I'm in York, the car is driveable (with care and not far! - i've managed to get some movement in the beam with daily doses of WD40 and bouncing!)

I've found lots of places doing refurbs with a courier service but i'm not sure i'm up to the work myself.

Have just about settled on taking the car to IMaxle nr Nottingham but its not exactly local and driving 2 cars there and back twice is going to add to the cost….plus reviews are mixed and i want a good job of course.

Any advice much appreciated….and apologies again!

dobboy

Why not just buy a beam from IM axels and get a local garage to fit it?

IM do a refurb'd one on an exchange basis, you send them yours after you've swapped it, they even organise couriers etc i'm sure.

• Like 2

DJA

Hiya - Yeah that's one option but heard mixed reviews about them (as per usual on the web!) and wondered if there was anyone on here currently doing good work?

iPlod999

I got a beam from a&baxles.co.uk a couple of months ago.

Part exchange with your old beam. £250 for a refurbished beam. £50 courier.

Cost me £60 to have it fitted by a local garage.

Edited by iPlod999
  • Like 1

DJA

seems to be about the going rate, not heard of that bunch though, will have a look. Heard a few stories about some firms doing half a job and things failing pretty quick, wondered if there were any folk on here doing them privately…or if folk on here know who's the firms to use….and who to avoid!

Tom Fenton

I have a newly rebuilt 1.9 beam available in Rotherham, I can fit it whilst you wait to save you multiple journeys. If that's any interest feel free to PM me.

Details are in the For Sale section of the beam

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=164586&do=findComment&comment=1468452

allanallen

From my own experience IM axles supply inferior quality parts and have poor customer service. I've never used a complete beam from them but going off what I've read I wouldn't touch them with a big long s*itty stick.

It really is worth paying a little more for someone to do it properly with quality parts.

Toms a good friend of mine but putting that aside his beams are very good quality and use the correct bits, can't recommend enough.

• Like 1

Alan77

I got a beam from SSP/A&Baxles years ago. No problems at all.

• Like 1

DJA

I had a word with Tom and his work looks good plus he's happy to fit it too, so i'm getting the front end done while i'm at it. Thanks for all the recommendations and advice folks.

• Like 1

DJA

After much umming and arring about various firms offering replacement beam services I opted to take the car to Tom in Rotherham after he was recommended on here…so just thought i'd feed back as this beam job seems to be a common one…and really good tech's are thin on the ground so it seems.

I couldn't be happier, he fitted a nice clean recon beam and all new front suspension in a day at a good price while i waited/got in the way/asked daft questions/waxoyled anything in sight. Tom also spotted a few other minor issues with the car which he sorted there and then. Top bloke and the car's never driven better, he knows them inside out.

Sadly for Tom, i'll be darkening his doorstep whenever i need work done in future.

• Like 3

apollo996

I wouldn't bother with ABaxles. I rang them weds to arrange pick up of my beam today. It wasn't picked up by 3.30pm so I rang them. They said they will chase it up and ring me back but never bothered.....To be honest, they didn't come across very professional when I first rang them and this just confirmed my initial impression. I will be looking for a experienced forum member to rebuild my beam.

stef205

I wouldn't bother with ABaxles. I rang them weds to arrange pick up of my beam today. It wasn't picked up by 3.30pm so I rang them. They said they will chase it up and ring me back but never bothered.....To be honest, they didn't come across very professional when I first rang them and this just confirmed my initial impression. I will be looking for a experienced forum member to rebuild my beam.

Not the first ive heard of this, He used to work for ssp untill the owner passed. I wont slag anyone off as thats unprofessional but i can also provide new beams with 2 years warranty without stepping on anyones toes.