• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Alastairh

Fabric Paint Recommendations

Alastairh

Hello,

I picked up a nice and cheap parcel shelf today from my local scrappy, but the only problem is it's grey and not black like it should be for my GTI.

Any recommendations on fabric black paint?

Cheers

Al

mrfirepro

Al,

I was faced with the same thing. Changing a blue one to grey, tried the fabric spray from simply spray, which was no use as the surface fabric would not absorb the spray.

Finally found a grey on in the end.

Would be interested to know if you find something to do this.

Clapton_Is_God

I just used Plasticare. I turned my grey headliner and parcel shelf black, came out lovely.

That stuff has a thousand use's!

dobboy

What about the shoe polish stuff with the sponge on the bottle end? Never tried it but it might work!

iPlod999

They just used a black aerosol on Wheeler Dealers.

hoodygoodwood

Autoglym black spray dye is worth a try , spray it on then dab it into the parcel shelf with a new washing up sponge to get it into the fibres .Have used this on my own shelf and its looks better than spraying it with paint .Probably will not get it back to jet black but its good enough after a few coats .

SkyQuake

I would strongly recommend that you ignore all of the sprays, and the Plasticare (which is a great product for what it's intended for!). I experimented with fabric paint, vinyl spray, spray dye and several other things when I did my restoration, and all of them cause other problems. They all result in the fabric (which is a strange wirey type of carpet) going crusty, and they will always start to break up over time and leave you with a car full of black powder. I certainly wouldn't use the Wheeler Dealers' method!

I would definitely recommend dying it instead. Unlike the floor carpets (which are nylon), the parcel shelf is a natural fibre, and will take a water based dye with no problem. I used simple dylon fabric dye for mine, applied wet with a roller. You then leave it to dry, and rinse out the delivery agent afterwards. I just hosed mine down, and job done. I've had it a couple of years, with no sign of it breaking up. It still feels like fabric, hasn't gone crusty or started to break up.

For the other carpets, as they're nylon based literally the only suitable thing I could find to stick was an alcohol based ink (such as Pinflair). This works out quite pricey, as you'll need at least 6 bottles to do a floor carpet, but it really does make them look like new again, and won't come off or dissolve in rain!

For further info on the techniques above, please have a look at my restoration thread.