• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
daveb-uk

Detailing 205 Dashboard

daveb-uk

I'm starting from scratch really and wondering what the best products to buy would be to bring a tired interior back to life

For plastics on the dash, is it a case of cleaning or are there products that can help recolour or restore surface?

Pugleyrich

I've used plasticare on all of my interior plastics, even the door cards. Have been impressed with with finish

jackherer

No, the plasticare we talk about on here has a picture of a 205 GTI on the bottle!

It's normally available on ebay but it seems to be harder to get recently.

dobboy

I done mines in Auto Finesse Revive, brought it up nice, one bottle would do the lot easily.....make sure everything is spotless no matter what you use.

daveb-uk

I done mines in Auto Finesse Revive, brought it up nice, one bottle would do the lot easily.....make sure everything is spotless no matter what you use.

What do you recommend for cleaning?

dobboy

I done all my plastics with a power washer

hot soapy water and nail brush/elbow grease?

theoilburner

Don't put them in dishwasher or use too strong detergents, will ruin them (as I found out). Gtechniqe do a product called G4 which restores plastics, may be worth a look as it has good reviews? Cleaning wise I'd just use a weak detergent and a nail brush and tooth brush, degrease then G4

• Like 1

sp_en_ny

Would not bother with the G4 stuff, I tried it on all the exterior trim, They say the little bottle goes a long way.......Crap ! I run out, one bottle is not anywhere near enough to do a whole 205. Plus in parts its now wearing away and going back to grey....only applied it this summer yet it claims lasts up to 2 years.

Looked very nice when I first did it but at £20+ a bottle wont be using it again. I wish I had bought a bottle or two of the plasticare stuff when I had the chance.

For cleaning before applying anything it was recommended to me to use white spirit, seemed to do a great job with little effort and applied sparingly.

dobboy

I use IPA to clean lots of stuff, glass etc.... also use it on my white PVC double glazing, brings it up like new.

Very cheap and works great..... but can't recall using it on grey plastics but think it would be good.

You need to add it to a spray type bottle as it evaporates quickly.

A lot of pro car detailers use it.

allanallen

I use IPA to clean lots of stuff, glass etc.... also use it on my white PVC double glazing, brings it up like new.

Very cheap and works great..... but can't recall using it on grey plastics but think it would be good.

You need to add it to a spray type bottle as it evaporates quickly.

A lot of pro car detailers use it.

IPA? Indian Pale Ale?

• Like 1

Andy_C

C4 will do an entire 205 exterior trim from maybe 5ml but it's not ideal for interiors.

Lasts years on garaged cars and it's pushing 50k on the outside trim on my daily.

For interiors try 303 protectant although it's less useful for restoring. Needs deep cleaning first; try a cloth soaked in by water to remove old dressings and crud followed by a clean with all purpose cleaner (I use supermarket own brand - same thing as more expensive potions).

scbond

A lot more difficult but I'd personally remove the upper dash and retire the vinyl. As for the plastics, there's not really anything permanent you can do other than to replace them.

RossD

IPA? Indian Pale Ale?

Isopropyl Alcohol ;)

GLPoomobile

Would not bother with the G4 stuff, I tried it on all the exterior trim, They say the little bottle goes a long way.......Crap ! I run out, one bottle is not anywhere near enough to do a whole 205. Plus in parts its now wearing away and going back to grey....only applied it this summer yet it claims lasts up to 2 years.

Looked very nice when I first did it but at £20+ a bottle wont be using it again. I wish I had bought a bottle or two of the plasticare stuff when I had the chance.

For cleaning before applying anything it was recommended to me to use white spirit, seemed to do a great job with little effort and applied sparingly.

C4 will do an entire 205 exterior trim from maybe 5ml but it's not ideal for interiors.

Lasts years on garaged cars and it's pushing 50k on the outside trim on my daily.

I would have thought C4 would easily do all 205 exterior trim too. I've not used it on a 205, but what I have used it on, a little goes a very long way and lasts well. If you can't do all the trim on a 205 with one bottle you are using too much! Makes me wonder if Spencer's trim was not clean enough - maybe silicone on it - and that hindered absorption and retention of the C4.