• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
idoari

Removing The Rear Screen Seal

idoari

Hi,

I waned to know if it possible to remove the rubber seal surrounding the rear screen without damaging it.

I'm planning a full respray and i want to remove all of the glass from the car. Should i buy new seal or try to remove the old one and reuse it?

Thanks

Ido

jackherer

If you're careful they can be removed and reused but they're cheap and available so it's easier to just get a new one.

Also they are not a seal, just a trim piece, the glass is bonded (glued) in place under the 'seal'.

• Like 1

dobboy

Does the seal sort of clip in or does it get bonded in?

Tia

theoilburner

Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't. Depends how tight the glass has been fitted and if it's been fitted using too much bonding. Usually it's easy to see when a seal has been removed and refitted, just doesn't look right.

What I usually do is run a wire under the seal to lift it off the paint then mask it up.

Could remove and refit it yourself, tools and bonding is reasonably cheap on eBay.

theoilburner

Does the seal sort of clip in or does it get bonded in?

Tia

Just sits on the edge of the glass, the glass then sits in a hole (aperture) which stops the seal coming off. No clips or bonding.

• Like 1