• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
theoilburner

Help Identifying A Burnt Wire.....?

theoilburner

Removed the looms from my 1990 Gti to repair some burnt wiring, the wire that is burnt comes from the headlamp switch and I'm having trouble identifying it, my car is different from the Haynes manual.

Red(5) supply in

Blue & White (R&J) dip/main beam

Green (55) sidelights

Orange (55A)????????????????? It's burnt out right back to the fuse board, any idea what could cause it, I'm assuming a short somewhere or could high resistance in a connector cause it?

I'm guessing it feeds multiple things with a supply when the sidelights are on???

image.jpg1_zpsjnr515zt.jpg

Slo

On page 369 its there item 18 but theres no wire 55A and the only one different is wire 150 that goes to the foglight switch item number 43.

Wires 5 and 55 go to the fusebox but 55 is also connected to 56 which has a junction to wire 55A and that one goes to the dim/dip relay item 27 which feeds the dim/dip resistor item 28.

You mat want to hold off buying an indicator stalk for the moment and try a different dim dip resistor and/or relay and check your foglight wiring, its wiring and bulb too.

DSC_0073_zpsd3og2xou.jpg

Edited by Slo

theoilburner

Thanks Andy, that's the diagram I was using and I was thinking it may be something to do with the fog lights but after doing some research it looks like the fault could be to do with the dim/dip circuit as it seems a common problem. I'm removing the headlamp loom today so will trace it through and find exactly where it goes, wold be nice to find the correct wiring diagram though.

I took the old stalk apart to check for damage as I've only just purchased the car and didn't want it to damage my repaired loom, it had some burn damage inside, nothing major but thought I'd replace it anyway - plus it looks too complicated to put back together!!

Dizzee stuff

I believe some people have had problems when the car has been fitted with over rated head lamp bulbs.

Telf

Yep!

I did- burnt the long yellow multi connector in the fuse box! -check your headlight bulb rating standard is 50 Watt I believe.

theoilburner

I have checked the bulbs and they are correctly rated, the supply wire in the yellow connector for the headlights is showing signs of being heated, this could have been when the wire pictured above burnt out. The wire that is burnt is not a supply for the headlight bulbs though, hopefully get a chance to remove headlight loom today and trace the cause. I have repaired the 2 dash looms, damage wasn't actually that bad and only restricted to one wire, just looked bad!

theoilburner

Having removed all the looms I've found its the 2 wires to the dim/dip resistor that have burnt away and either burnt right back to the switch or have damaged other wires in the process. Dash looms only need one wire replacing, happy days!

Headlamp loom will need a bit more work :-(

The dim/dip resistor is missing - are these still available??

Even better do I actually need it? Is it just a case of removing the wiring from loom - easy in my case as its burnt out anyway

Edited by theoilburner