• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
theoilburner

Rewiring Help -

theoilburner

Hi all, can anyone give me a heads up on the common faults with wiring looms? I'm currently repairing my looms due to a few melted wires and I've read there are common faults with these which is rather upgrade while I'm in the process. Other thing is that I haven't actually found the cause of the meltdown which is a bit worrying - it's mainly the orange wire in the dash loom that runs between the 2 connectors and one of the wires in the headlight loom, is there anything I should pay particular attention to/likely cause??

Sorry to be a bit vague, just don't want it to all burn out again in the future

jackherer

I would check the headlight bulbs to make sure they are not over rated in terms of wattage.

Telf

Im going to second Jackherers suggestion based on the fact I had a similar fault about 4 months ago - Jack said check the headlights - hey pesto! it was the bulbs should be 50 Watt filaments - had 100Watt fitted

• Like 1

theoilburner

Funnily enough one of the wires to the headlights with had burnt out

jackherer

Have a good look at the plugs going onto the fusebox too.

theoilburner

Just checked bulbs, both 12v/55W.

Will have a good check over everything, although hard to tell what is duff and what isnt

jackherer

Those are the correct bulbs. I meant check the fusebox plugs for burning/melting.

Can you follow the wires that melted to see if you can find a wire number at the other end, or if you can't find a number tell us which plug it goes to so we have a chance to identify it.