• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
notamondayfan

Removing Mould / Mildew From Seat Fabric

notamondayfan

Hello,

I have a set of very good seats, best I've seen, but they are marked with mould / mildew from being badly stored.

Seats_03.jpg

Seats_02.jpg

Seats_01.jpg

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on how to best remove the mould without ruining the fabric?

Also, slightly off topic, but can anyone recommend any leather protection for the bolsters?

Thanks,
Dean

Tom Fenton

A good wet vac with detergent is what I'd do, I have an old VAX for this very purpose.

On the leather AutoGlym leather care has always worked for me as its readily available off the shelf and I have a bottle, but there are many other products out there.

GLPoomobile

I suspect that general detergent cleaning might only be partially effective. The mould is an organism and needs to be killed off. If not remoced properly you may find the lingering smell won't go away and the mould may come back. Have a google on how to remove mould and mildew from fabrics and you may get some ideas. IIRC steam cleaning and/or borax (you can get bags of pure borax on ebay pretty cheap and it's useful stuff) might help.

Andy_C

Autosmart Bio Brisk is designed for this very purpose as it'll kill the fungus and spores. Readily available either via a local rep or online.

Slo

+1 for the vax method ive also got one for this purpose but use a wet head not just the round pipe or you could end up stabbing the sharp end through the fabric with the powerful suction, also makes a fantastic job of washing mud/s*it/fag ash out of the carpet too
wp22278bd7_05_06.jpg

notamondayfan

Cheers, I guess I'll try to get my hands on a Vax, and start with just normal detergent, I'm just worried I'll end up bleaching / damaging the fabric, maybe I'll have a go on a rear seat first!

Cheers

Tom Fenton

I'm sure there are "better" more car-biased products out there, but I've always just used 1001 carpet cleaner as you can buy from the supermarket. Works OK and doesn't bleach anything.

GLPoomobile

Cheers, I guess I'll try to get my hands on a Vax, and start with just normal detergent, I'm just worried I'll end up bleaching / damaging the fabric, maybe I'll have a go on a rear seat first!

Cheers

Well Andy's already mentioned a product above, and if I was going to trust an opinion on cleaning, it would be his :D Just check the ingredients of any product you use, so long as there is no bleach or similar harsh chemicals, acids etc, it should be fine. And obviously go gently and use as little water as possible.

Slo

I use washing powder and the cheapest no frills crap there is, nothing better than enzymes to get rid of years of chocolate/hand grime/fag ash/sweaty arse crack remains oh and mildew/mould