• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djs1972

Dreaded Leak Around Sunroof :(

djs1972

Hi gents

Can anybody offer some advice please on the best method of rectification for a roof leak

I have 205GTI with a sunroof.

I have water leaking into the car where in both front roof corners where the headlining meets the front screen/plastic corner trim at top of the A pillar.

I have checked the operation of both drains and their connection inside the roof and they are both fine.

Where it seems to leak is where the two sections of metal meet each other see marked up photo.

The leak is on both sides.

I have removed both long sections of sunroof trim but have not been able to work out how to remove the sunroof trim that sits on the front running parallel with the top of the windscreen.

It looks like I need to mastic externally along this line. I think around the base of rivets that again run parallel with the top of the windscreen.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks Dave

PS Pugfest this weekend was terrific and I thoroughly enjoyed it and will be a regular participant :)

post-24128-0-95787300-1436791505_thumb.jpg

Edited by djs1972

Weser

You have done well to remove the side sunroof trims without taking the front section off first!

The front section you describe is held on with two torx bolts - the two holding the handle up on your photo. Then the trim pulls towards the front of the car away from the rivets.

djs1972

Thanks Weser - any ideas for the best way to make the car water tight again?

The sides were made easy to remove first as the front trim was loose around the rivets.

The only thing hold the front trim on now is the center fixings i think.

PS I have nab'd the photo from another forum.

My headlining is still in place.

mrfirepro

Hi David,

It's nice to know my photos get around.

Here are a few more that may help you.

sunroof front trim screws

P1050401_666x500.jpg

P1040766_666x500.jpg

P1030822_666x500.jpg

P1040498_375x500.jpg

I hope these give you some idea about what under the trim, I would remove the headlining to check the drains as these corrode where the rubber pipe connects the the sunroof drains. I would be surprised if it's one of the rivets as there is a sealing washer under the screw and a sealing strip under the frame (assuming it's a factory)

I'm only in Maidstone feel free to pop over if you need help.

• Like 1

djs1972

Hi Paul

Thanks for the pictures they are really helpful.

I have poured water on to the sunroof and both drains are clear and are not corroded where the pipe joins them.

The water is getting into the car were the two sections of metal join as high lighted in the photo.

Do you know if there a gasket between the two pieces of metal or under the rivetted panel?

Thanks David

mrfirepro

If you look at the 3rd photo, that's not a join, it's a reinforcing strip, the metal of the roof is a single piece with no joins as per this photo.

P1010668_666x500.jpg

I'd still remove the headlining as your not going to know for sure and what ever the problem the lining will have to come out anyway.

djs1972

Yes you are most likely right Paul - really did not want to pull the car to pieces but might have too :(

I managed to pull down the corner of the headlining and physically saw water dripping from the area highlighted in the photo.

It could be the rivets letting the water by them as pass right through this strengthened section?

I wondered if one of the slightly ugly sunroof wind deflectors might be a good simple fix / belt and braces approach?

If you PM me with your details perhaps we could meet up and spare me a little bit of your superior Pug knowledge and point me in the right direction on a few others niggles I have ?

Thanks Dave

mrfirepro

PM sent. pop over some time and we'll have a look.

djs1972

Thanks Paul message received I will give you a bell. Many thanks.

Dave