• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rikky

Driving Lamps - Talk To Me

rikky

I've looked on eBay and the likes, and browsed numerous threads on here, but can't find the answer

I have a set of lamps currently (Ring Microline) that have the black backing etc but looking to replace them with standard ones, or similar

People mention the Siem and Denji ones but all the ones I can find available to buy seem to be no-brand and I don't know what the fitment is like. There's about 10 different auctions on eBay for between £40-60 for them. ECP seem to list the Valeo ones (which look odd) and Magnetti Marelli ones which look a bit better but no backings by the looks of it

What are people buying, and from where, and for how much!?

I want them to look as decent as possible, without costing the earth, and as standard looking as possible (not yellow!)

Edited by rikky

boldy205

The Denji ones are in my opinion, good for value/ looks. However the Siem oe ones are the ones that look the best. Take a look at BBM website, think they are/ might be making repro reflectors, (the bits that rot) so you would just need new/second hand backs and glass (the bits that last longer).

Also think someone on the group buys section on here was making S/S repro surrounds.

farmer

The SIem ones are good

The Denji ones are Ok but the OE plastic housing are the best as they fit into the valance well, the Denji ones are woeful

Bad news the backings are NLA from main dealer now as well

scbond

Most of the ones listed on eBay are by the same two or three sellers and, from what I can tell, are all Denji units.

If you can get OE or Siem then jump at the chance...if not, go for Valeo/Hella/Magneti Marelli and then Denji, in that order.

Edited by scbond

dobboy

As above. I have the denji ones and think they are ok, although if you do a lot of night driving they only really give two hotspots about 5-8m in front of car.

Good set of head lamp bulbs i.e. Philips Extreme Vision, and you'll have plenty light and good uniformity, with the spots being just for show.

From memory the denji ones are the ones you see a little black and red stub of wire coming out the back on the ebay images, and i think you can get them for about £33 delivered.

Tom Fenton

The Denji steel frames rot out for fun. I sandblasted mine then had them plated then powdercoated.

Daviewonder

If you can get OE or Siem then jump at the chance...if not, go for Valeo/Hella/Magneti Marelli and then Denji, in that order.

Just wondering what made you go for that order?

Seeing as the Siem ones are Magneti Marelli ones (Also Bosch).

rikky

Thanks for the replies!

This is the one I saw on CP4L/ECP - http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/search/475735080/

Looks like the unit without the back so guess I'd need to get them separately

Or, could get the Denji's on eBay - here - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191594069930

I have a pair of Ring Microline units at the moment and the backing doesn't look too dissimiliar to them Denji ones in the listing. I wonder if I could reuse my Ring Microline backings at some stage?

welshpug

do cp4l list the driving lamp?

Alan77

Ive had Ring Microline on mine for ages. They've turned out to be the longest lasting out of the lot. I've got a new pair to go on soon, and for £25 a pair, a good price. The beam is good and although slightly smaller than the regular ones, it doesn't bother me.

rikky

Couldn't see them when supplying my reg nope :( only the fog lights

In actual honesty I don't mind whether it's fogs / driving

Edited by rikky

Daviewonder

They do but when you order them they refund you straight away and say they're not available.

boldy205

Guess it depends if you want some genuine ones or are happy with a tidy replacement that hopefully won't rust.

farmer

The genuine ones are going to cost anybody now.

boldy205

Do denji lenses fit Siem backs?

welshpug

close but no cigar, they look like Cibie Airports as found on the Phase1 306, the ZX, and phase1 106 with sport bumpers

also, old Jaaaags. :lol: the sides are rounded where the original Siem lamps are much more square and smaller.

jackherer

My French is almost non existent but doesn't...

Ne les cherchez plus, les longues portées rectangulaire type origine sont la.

...mean something like 'don't bother looking for the original rectangular type'?

farmer

Trying to make a sale as they kicking about.

scbond

Just wondering what made you go for that order?

Seeing as the Siem ones are Magneti Marelli ones (Also Bosch).

Mainly personal preference on how I rate the brands...wasn't aware that Siem were anything to do with MM or Bosch. I always thought they were an independent brand.

On another note, the lamps on my car have rectangular glass and doesn't have a cut-away around the screw. Instead the screw just goes through the bracket and into the holder and the bracket hold the light in around the edge. Anyone come across these and possibly know if Denjis will fit in (i.e.. the glass is longer)? I know it's a shot in the dark there so I can try and get pics and dimensions.

rikky

I'm not really any the wiser after reading this thread.. much like the other threads on here :lol:

Think I'll take a gamble on the Denji ones and see what they look like

farmer

They will be fine but screw into orginal plastic backings if possible.

rikky

Bought the Denji's here - clicky

Time will tell if they're ok. Might see what the finish is like on the surround and end up reblasting it / powdercoating it again

dobboy

Make sure the front cover screws are tight, one of mines filled up with water initially.