• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gtiburge

Rear Beam Not Fitting

gtiburge

I am in the proses of changing out my old beam for a new one I have tried mounting the new one up and the front 2 mounts are no where near lining up in the boot holes it has solid bushings but I can't see why that would make it so far out any advise much appreciated

welshpug

is it a 309 beam?

rikky

What do you know about the new beam? As above - 205 or 309? What is out exactly? Studs on the front mounts? If so is it possible they're mounted the wrong way round, i.e. built up wrong but never fitted?

I seem to remember checking ServiceBox for a diagram when reassembling mine for that very reason as it looked like they would fit eitherway around

Edited by rikky

Tom Fenton

I seem to remember checking ServiceBox for a diagram when reassembling mine for that very reason as it looked like they would fit eitherway around

They can fit either way. Conveniently, if its a 205 beam, the mounts "point" outwards, it it is a 309 beam to mount onto a 205, they "point" inwards.

gtiburge

thanks for the help i was given the beam with the car it was said to be the original off the car 1988 1.9gti it was sized but i have since had it rebuilt,

i had the front mounts on the same way round as the existing one on the car ,mounts pointing outward and the holes would not line up anywhere near like 20mm each side but i have since turned the mounts round and and they now fit but the rear blocks are now not lined up by 10mm or so

will have a go slacking all the bolts off tomorrow and fitting and levering it all into place and if all the mouting points fit to the body i will do them up thats the plan anyway worth noteing the beam is fitted with a bbm group a bush kit

welshpug

if its a 205 beam there will not be any need to lever anything.

before fitting the beam, check the brackets are fitted to the correct side, the front ones with the two studs are handed on a 1.9 gti, they are marked with a D and G, the french for right and left.

gtiburge

if its a 205 beam there will not be any need to lever anything.

before fitting the beam, check the brackets are fitted to the correct side, the front ones with the two studs are handed on a 1.9 gti, they are marked with a D and G, the french for right and left.

which is left and right if i look at the beam from the back of the car or front ? and there could be a possibility that the beam is a 309 item if so where should i measure the beam from to find out and how long should it be ?

boldy205

Can you not just measure the bolt centres on the shell, then measure the bolt centres on the beam studs and go from there?

Ozymandis

Droit = right

Gauche= left

Sat in drivers seat,

left is left

right is right.