• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
unariciflocos

Pulling Left After New Brake Setup Installed

unariciflocos

So I've installed GTI180 calipers, Tarox 283 rotors and DS3000 pads on my Rallye, slightly used, from here on the forum and now my car pulls to the left under braking. It's frustrating starting to troublehshoot because I've replaced hubs, shafts, tie rod ends, bearings at the same time so the possibilities are endless.

Basically my front left wheel locks up very easily when I apply some more force, but it pulls to the left at any lefel of braking. I've since replaced the master cylinder with a 406 one and there is no difference whatsoever. Brakes have been bled about 3 times each side. Brake fluid is new, Ferodo racing. The strange thing is that FL is still bedding in, 1/3 of the inner disk still shows some surface rust, while FR has cleaned up perfectly immediately. Calipers looked to move freely, both the sliders and the piston.

I know where to start with troubleshooting, but I'm pressed for time and spares availability, so I'd like to ask what you guys think, from your experience, could be the most likely culprit.

Thanks,

Andrei

allanallen

When you say 'slightly used' what do you mean? If the pads have not been bedded in properly (heat cycled) they could be knackered, all too easy to do.

If you're happy that all the sliders and pistons are good and it's bled up properly I'd de-glaze the pads, then follow ferodos bedding in procedure.

Edited by allanallen

unariciflocos

There's something I didn't know abou the bedding in. Had I known I'd have bought standard pads.

By slightly used I mean the disks have no lip at all and pads seem to be close to new thickness.

The caliper bolt holes have been helicoiled because I assume someone tried to use 1.5 pitch bolts at some point (that's how I bought them) and I'm also using 1.5 pitch bolts, but I doubt that this would cause the calipers to sit at an angle.

There's alwaqys something going wrong with cars!

Stu

If the nearside is locking up i'd start looking at the off side to see if anything is seized in the first instance :)

allanallen

They've been helicoiled to 1.5 then? Or you've got the wrong bolts in?

welshpug

1.5 is the standard pitch bolt.

unariciflocos

Helicoil is 1.5 pitch, original was 1 i believe. However the mating surfaces were clean and healthy so calipers should be straight and true.

Anyway, solved it. Right side caliper piston was full of gunk. I cleaned it, ran the pads over some wet sand paper to get rid of the glazing and switched the inner ones from one side to another because they seemd to better fir the wear on the disk. Brakes perfectly even now, serves me right for doing a half arsed job from the get go.

At least this topic was not completely useless, I've learnt about the need to bed in pads.

allanallen

Glad you've sorted it!

For future reference, a standard pitch bolt is m12x1.75, 205 hubs are M12x1.5