• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Stu

Removing An Engine And Box Without A Hoist...

Spesh

I dont have access to a crane nor anywhere to store one so I made this that bolts on teh bottom and I drop the car down and just pull it out the wheel arch

53833842544_5b65e09d3a_b.jpgPXL_20230323_170455673 by Mark Needs, on Flickr

Maxvdm

thanks all for the replies. 

that's a neat rig Spesh. 

On 7/3/2024 at 8:34 AM, Richie-Van-GTi said:

If you are sensible you will be changing the clutch at the absolute minimum whilst transferring everything over as its the ideal time. With that in mind I would drop the subframe and wishbones off first, the struts and hubs, then support the engine and drop then gearbox out or drop engine and gearbox together. Ideally you need 3 people for the last part with a long strong bar and some rope, 2 to loft the engine and box hanging on the bar while one unfastens the mounts so the other 2 can lower it.

Dont underestimate how high the car needs to be to get the engine out and once the subframe is out the way drop the car as much as possible before dropping engine so the lift and drop is easier.

But honestly, buy a crane, will be one of the best investments you ever make.

The 205 gti6 donor car has a new clutch in it already,  I don't plan on splitting the gearbox and engine. 

I might have access to a car hoist so that's why I thought id drop the engine, gearbox and subframe as one unit and slide it under the other shell in one go. 

is the bottom engine mount, and driveshafts the only thing that attaches the engine to the subframe? sorry if this is a dumb question

Tom Fenton

The subframe is not hard to remove on its own, you will make your life much harder trying to leave it attached to everything else.

• Thanks 1

Spesh
Posted (edited)

Having had mine out the bottom a few times I wouldn't entertain doing it with the subframe attatched.

Rear engine mount, driveshafts, 2 bolts in the inner wing and 4 at the rear of the subframe and balljoints is it.  I tend to take the struts out also as I lower the whole front of the car down so they are out the way.

I can do it solo in about 3 hours now including tea and being distracted by shiney things.  Just need 2 decent jacks either side under the sills to lower it down onto a dolly of some sort and with enough lift that you can pull it sideways out the wheel arch.  It will go out under the front of the car but you need some mega jacks to get it high enough

53866681799_8085d42c93_n.jpgIMG_20210117_151956 by Mark Needs, on Flickr

53866687484_7ef3da90fc_n.jpgPXL_20230324_160146702 by Mark Needs, on Flickr

Edited by Spesh