• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Stu

Removing An Engine And Box Without A Hoist...

Stu

Hi all,

I need to drop the engine and box out of my donor at the weekend and typically, the hoist has chosen now to leak and be useless...

So. I was thinking of dropping the subframe and struts off complete and lowering the entire assembly down then splitting the engine and box off later, question is will a normal decent two tonne Jack get the car high enough for it to clear the engine and box once it's on the deck?

Anyone done one or got any tips?

Daviewonder

Just lower the engine and box onto the floor (an old tyre helps here).

Yes a decent 2 tonne jack will lift it high enough to drag the engine out laying in it's back.

Tom Fenton

Or with 2 of you, lift the shell up then roll it back off the engine/box/subframe

welshpug

how strong do you think people are Tom?!

Tom Fenton

How weak are you!!!

I have done it before with two of us.

rallyeash

You need to get down the gym WP

erbs

i have done this so let me help you here

what i done was remove the gearbox 1st, i then removed the head as this was coming off any way then i was left with the bottom end. and that was dropped on the floor with cusions underneath

you will need a jack if just removing the engine and just lower to the floor then raise the body work to pull the engine away from car.

not as easy as it sounds but it worked for me.

speno

Just drop it and lift the shell , I remove the lower engine mount fully too

tis easy done it loads of times on my own

Alastairh

Do able with a decent jack. I would be tempted to whip the inlet manifold off given its easy to access, quick to remove and would give you plenty more space where the exhaust manifold would clash against the subframe when you lower down, plus minimise damaging anything.

Al

allanallen
  • Like 1

u47sb2

If you're going to split the engine and box why not remove the box first as that's easily done (I say easily done as I've removed boxes too many times!). That leaves engine which will then be much easier to drop.

welshpug

nose weight of 205, 500kg at least, minus 150 kg engine package, 350, 175kg a side.

no fecking chance!

steve@cornwall

As Saud remove lower engine mount completely. I remove the inlet manifold for clearance and the rad to avoid damage. I undo top engine mount and gearbox mount last with the car on the deck and without front wheels. That way the engine is already on the floor.

aldworth33

I lowered mine onto a creeper with blocks of wood on, then jacked the car up and rolled the creeper, engine and box out. Only works if your creeper is sturdy with good casters tho

Mac Crash

nose weight of 205, 500kg at least, minus 150 kg engine package, 350, 175kg a side.

no fecking chance!

Trust me, 2 men can achieve at least 4 x what 1 man can do, 2 men can easily put an old Mini on it's side, have done it and I'm 70kg naked))) Have also lifted a cast iron block Mini engine complete with box onto the back tailboard of a van... (2 men) many times.

calvinhorse

When you lift the front, The first 8" is the toughest (oo errr) then the weight transfers back more so gets easier

Edited by calvinhorse

dcc

Do it meself.

Hold my beer.

Stu

Well, it is done :)

Took the inlet off and rad out like people have said, big block of wood under the engine and box with the car up high on axle stands and it came out from underneath sweet as a nut. Even managed to drag it around the garage on the jack which was a bonus!

Thanks for the tips!

• Like 1

johniban

ive done it before a few times without an engine crane, if you have an engine support bar and a strop, (rope just bunches up) you can use a metal bar across the top of the wings if changing wings, strop around engine and back through one end of itself then hold the strop away from itself if that makes sence or tie a knot above and slowly let the knot out

Maxvdm

Sorry to awaken an old thread, but I'm about to tackle a similar task.

I am taking the driveline from one 205 and putting it into another. This includes the shocks, driveshafts, engine, gearbox, ARBs, subframe, LCAs, hubs, and brakes—pretty much the entire front end.

I plan to start by removing all the hoses, loom, radiator, slam panel, throttle cable, gear linkages, exhaust, and the top of the struts. I will carefully label and take photos of everything.

Then, to drop the engine and subframe together, do I disconnect the top engine mount and the subframe bolts, with the subframe resting on a dolly/block of wood?

Then with the help of some friends, or a big jack lift the car up and back?

This is the largest task I have undertaken on my 205, and I am currently away, so I can't look at the car for reference, are there any other points where the engine mates to the subframe? 

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

welshpug

honestly I'd just get an engine crane, borrow/hire/buy, I never have personally but I'm lucky that a few mates have got them,  much like a trailer you will be everyone's friend if you have one :lol:

Fallowsnz

I recently swapped the engine in my 306 xsi. Did it without a hoist, the cast iron xu10 was very heavy and awkward to manoeuvre once dropped onto the ground. Especially with gear box still on, it was replaced with an alloy blocked xu7. Stripped that down to just block and head and was much easier to drop out and manoeuvre. 

j_turnell

Pretty easy to be honest. Jack it up on axle stands as high as you can. Drop it out the bottom on a couple of trolley jacks. Take the box off and roll the engine back and slide it out. 

Richie-Van-GTi

If you are sensible you will be changing the clutch at the absolute minimum whilst transferring everything over as its the ideal time. With that in mind I would drop the subframe and wishbones off first, the struts and hubs, then support the engine and drop then gearbox out or drop engine and gearbox together. Ideally you need 3 people for the last part with a long strong bar and some rope, 2 to loft the engine and box hanging on the bar while one unfastens the mounts so the other 2 can lower it.

Dont underestimate how high the car needs to be to get the engine out and once the subframe is out the way drop the car as much as possible before dropping engine so the lift and drop is easier.

But honestly, buy a crane, will be one of the best investments you ever make.

Leslie green

Once the subframe is out id want the front then as low as possible so the engine is very close to the ground , let it sit on an old tyre and take the mounts off  then lift the body up off it , given the engine slants back trying to lower it on jacks would be a nightmare it it would likely fall of damaging it or your shell or other parts .