• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
martinh

Brakes And Suspension Questions

martinh

Got a couple of questions about what suspension/brakes I should be using on my 1.6 gti that is having a gti6 engine fitted.

I have searched but theres pages and pages and is difficult to pick a definitive answer out of previous posts.

The car will be 99% road car with the very occasional trackday (hopefully!)

Brakes:

The intention is to run gti6 front brakes (i have base model hubs so they will fit) and put a 1.9 disc beam on the back as I want discs all round, I have got a 23mm master cylinder also.

I am going to renew all the brake lines but am unsure whether to retain the original compensator and replace the brake pipes exactly as they are or is there a better alternative?

Suspension:

What is favoured with the heavier lump up front? I have a set of Ph1 xsara vts shocks and springs and gti6 but as I understand it the drop links will not work and the ride height will be completely wrong?!

In the 1.9 beam what would be best plan for torsion bar/arb size?

Am happy for it to be dropped a little but don't want it too low!

Will be running 1.9 speedline alloys!

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Martin

j_turnell

I'd keep the standard 1.6 setup single line to the rear, far more reliable than the 1.9 setup with the two compensators. I personally like the 283mm setup with the standard master cylinder, i prefer the longer pedal travel.

For a road car i'd get some decent dampers such as bilstein b6's or konis and eibach springs. Coilovers would give you more options in terms of spring rate but a bit overkill imo for a road car. Gaz golds would be an option, if you did go down that route.

The torsion bar size does depend on your front setup as you want a balanced setup. I really like a chunky rear arb, i ran a 24mm and found the turn in was nice and sharp. Also look into solid beam bushes and mounts to tighten the back end up. There's also lots of options with trailing arms a search will tell all.

dobboy

New top mounts (Grp N) and bearings for the front, and i find the upper strut brace makes a big difference.

I've got 205 B4's on the front with Eibachs, and Xsara B4's on the back, solid mounted beam . It's very comfy on the road, handles well, and is decent enough for an odd track day. My beam bars are standard but the back has been lowered.

In hindsight i kind of wish i went B6's all round as it gets driven spirited most of the time i'm in it.

I've got GTI180 front calipers, big MC, and discs on the back single piped/T'd without compensators and i've no lock up problems, and it stops very well.

Good tyres made a big difference for me as did a Quaife diff.

Try not to fit a 1.9 box with the gti6 engine

Batfink

306 dampers fit fine on the 205.

Personally I'm not a fan of the bigger brake setup. I prefer a better pad compound vs the extra weight of a big caliper and disc. Ultimately a fast reacting damper due to less unsprung weight will give vastly superior traction and ride comfort.

martinh

Thanks for the responses. So I will leave the compensator in place I think, will have a look around regarding suspension options and see what I can find!