• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dale

Sill And Rear Arch Welding

Dale

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good body shop in the west midlands area?

My rear sill and arch (passenger side) are in need of welding and help. Ive been quoted £500 without parts needed from a garage in kidderminster. Found a used rear quarter panel £100 on the old flea bay and sills we can still get, £20/40 so thats around £650 in total. Is that a good price? Sorry if I seem stupid, just got no idea on body work at all and prices Involved.

Any help would be appreciated.

Pugleyrich

How much of the sill and arch need doing? Do you have any pics? I'm having similar work done on mine at the moment but I'm also having inner wings, boot floor and headlight panel done for approx £600.

Dale

Hi pugleyrich,

Thanks for reply, it would appear that you definitely have the better deal! . I've tried to attach a couple of photos for you., hope it works. post-24268-0-16374300-1432063636_thumb.jpgpost-24268-0-08676900-1432063666_thumb.jpg

Tom Fenton

I would find a classic car repair place and ask them to have a look. I have repaired similar before and full panels are not really needed, some small repair bits can easily be made then welded in.

dobboy

Where do u get the sills for 20/40?

Dale

Thanks for the advice tom, I will do.

I think it was in the usual place for the sill, the bay. There was another site which I cant remember the name of right now that was selling them for 30 odd quid. Not original mind, after market panels.

Tom Fenton

A classic repairer will be a lot more comfortable dealing with that kind if stuff than a general garage or even most bodyshops.

Its an easy repair really as you can hide the welded joints under the bodykit and in the seam to the sill. The sill is finished with stonechip which again is good at hiding the repair. The one I did used a tiny skim of filler the rest was metal.

Tom Fenton
Photo-0031-1.jpg
  • Like 1

Dale

Thanks again tom, id rather take it somewhere where they know what there doing.

Theres a place bout 15 mile away from me who deal with classics where I will be paying a visit to tomorrow.

Dale

Tom,

Out of intrest how long did the work take to complete?

thanks

Tom Fenton

Sorry no idea, it would be about 8 years ago I did that.

Pugleyrich

Hi Dale. Mine was very similar to this. I bought a pair of sills just to make the job easier for the body shop but they've told me they don't need to use them. My sills were actually solid, it just rusted through above. I don't think a classic bodyshop would charge too much for the repair. I'm not sure why the place I've taken mine is so cheap, but I've used them on a few cars in the past and the work was of an excellent standard. Good luck with it.

Dale

Hi folks,

quick update on this. Thankyou by the way for all your replies.

I took toms advice and went to a place called severn classics in cradley. Very happy with fella there, and Iits always reassuring to see two units full of classic cars being worked on. Anyway £350 all in, including paint job so I cant complain and instead of it being a two week wait they reckon 3-4days.

• Like 1

Dale

Just wanted to update this and let people know what a great experience I had with steve from severn classics in cradley heath getting my rust sorted.

Realy happy with job and I would recommend anyone who may be struggling to find a good body shop in the west mids area to pop round.

Thanks to all who helped.post-24268-0-24298200-1433537830_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Pugleyrich

Wow that was quick! Looks good. I'm hopefully getting mine back tomorrow

m@ttc

I too have been to see this chap he seems highly recommended, but his dog was too scary

Edited by m@ttc

nomis

That looks fantastic, I need to have someone take a look at a bit of rust on my drivers door and potentially sill. Am in London though, anyone know a decent classic repairer / body shop closer to here?

Dale

Thanks for the thumbs up guys.

Pugleyrich I hope yours turns out well to.

M@tt hes dog is scary lol, I honked the horn a few times so he could put the beast away before I entered, I would recommend him to anybody though, good friendly service all round.

Nomis thankyou, london is bit to far me to comment on any body shops sorry.

Pugleyrich

Thanks Dale. Looks like another week wait for me!

Dale

Thats not nice, its horrible having to wait, but I suppose its must sometimes to do the job correctly.

I hope it turns good!

davemar

I had to do a similar bit of repair work last year on my sill in front of the rear wheel. I cut out the rusty part and shaped some sheet metal to fit the hole. I welded it all up and used some filler to get a smooth finish. It looks fine and passed the MOT (where the rust extent was spotted).

The trickier bits were ensuring there was enough metal in there to make a strong jacking point; and welding in close proxomity to the fuel tank is risky. Be very careful here as underbody sealant catches fire quite easily.