• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hcmini1989

Fitting Polycarbonate Windows Help

hcmini1989

As title im currently fitting some polycarb windows ,I bought the windows of another forum member and from the looks of his build thread for the front windows he has drilled from the outside of the door (under weather strip ) and put a bolt straight through the door and through the window to the inside of the door ,

Now ive searched and seen this seems to be the common thing I was just curious to see if anyone has done anything different ?.I don't really fancy doing it this way as looks a little messy as the weather strip is lumpy .

I have thought about maybe using some dome headed bolts to get them lower but wanted to see if anyone has done anything different .Preferably with some pics

Rich_p

Mine are bolted in. I used cap head bolts and also removed material from the weather strip so that the bolt heads sit flush with it.

I think it looks quite neat.

If I was being mega fussy I could swap the bolts for black ones so they are less visible

• Like 1

hcmini1989

I think im being abit fussy but just asking to see if any ones done anything different

hcmini1989

cheers for that didn't think to search lexan rather than polycarb ^_^

JeffR

I've been thinking of fitting Lexan side windows on my 405 track car. Don't fancy bolting them from the outside mainly for appearance reasons so would cutting the flat Lexan sheet to the same size & shape as the glass and fitting it up into the window channels work?

I'd sikaflex them in and use a couple of bolts on the underside to support and prevent any dropping down (I think the sikaflex alone would be strong enough anyway but using the bolts as extra insurance).

Wouldn't want them to blow out at speed on the track.

Rich_p

Another idea, fit them in the standard runners and put bolts through the runner to stop the window dropping down?

hcmini1989

Well ive nearly done mine now ,I have done it the same as one of the posts in the link that rich put up ,I have used the lower part of the door where its double skinned ,I have drilled a big hole (big enough to get a bolt head through ) then a small 6mm hole on the inside for the bolt to go through ,I plan on taking some calipers down to the garage today to measure the big hole then ill get some plasic caps to cover the big hole and paint them the same colour as the door ,Noramaly it would be covered by the door card but I have aluminium ones so don't cover the hole of the door .

Cheers for the help rich much appreciated mate.