• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Karl

Rear Arch Problem

Karl

Hi I have a recuring problem.that needs sorting sooner rather than later....

What it is, the passengers side rear wheel keeps scraping the inside of the arch near the sill and Ive recetly had it welded up to reapair the damage it isnt hitting the top of the inside of the arch just the front near the sill its only the passenger side. The car has been lowered by moving the torsion bar 1 spline itwas okay at first but is now becoming a expensive problem

Any ideas as to what it might be?

dcc

lowered by moving 1 spline?

oh dear... oh dear oh dear.

ohdear-meme.jpg

• Like 2

welshpug

missing bump stops most likely.

• Like 1

dcc

either way we need a photo

could be many things, most likely however is the beam bearings are shagged, if so, the beam tube is likely to be shagged too as the trailing arm shaft wont be sat correctly in the tube

• Like 1

Anthony

Are you missing the bump stop on the side in question and do the rear wheels sit centrally in the arch (and the same both sides)?

Karl

Ill take some photos now amf upload them

Karl

yes the bump stop is missing that side the wheel looks as tho its sitting centrally so is this just a small thing of a bump stop or something more serious as dan said

Karl

Also whatis 'oh dear' about the lowering method I thought that was the only wayto do it :/

Karl

Also whatis 'oh dear' about the lowering method I thought that was the only wayto do it :/

Pugleyrich

Don't think those links are working... Unless you have to log in to see the pictures?

Tom Fenton

Needs the bump stop back first of all.

As for lowering, the "spline" method is a bit rough and only allows set amount of lowering. If you release the torsion bar at both ends, due to either end having a different spline count, it's possible to set the ride height to pretty much any variation you like. It's a bit of a shame some of the more experienced members above couldn't have taken 30 secs to explain that rather than posting stupid f***ing pictures.

• Like 5

Henry Yorke

I had this on my CTI. If you lower the beam it does tend to bring the wheel forward.

This kind of catching?

post-3457-0-63373000-1429041560_thumb.jpg

The wheel still looked central though

post-3457-0-34561600-1429041524_thumb.jpg

What might be the problem is that you are on 1.6 rear beam mounts and if you switchedto 1.9 mounts, then they are sided and will move the wheel back slightly.

1.9 mount on the left, 1.6 on the right

post-3457-0-44684900-1429041376_thumb.jpg

1.9 mounts have a D & G (not Dolce & Gabbana) but Droit & Gauche (Left & Right)

post-3457-0-01759300-1429041389_thumb.jpg

You can see how much they move the rear mount back as the sandwich rubber is still set for 1.6 ones here

post-3457-0-53327300-1429041397_thumb.jpg

Tom Fenton

1.9 mounts have a D & G (not Dolce & Gabbana) but Droit & Gauche (Left & Right)

Other way around, droite = right, gauche = left.

• Like 1

Karl

Thankyou For explaining that for me very much apreciated

Yes that is exactly what has happened so ill now replace the bump stop and switch too 1.9 mounts and hopefully lroblem.solved thanks again :)

Karl

Needs the bump stop back first of all.

As for lowering, the "spline" method is a bit rough and only allows set amount of lowering. If you release the torsion bar at both ends, due to either end having a different spline count, it's possible to set the ride height to pretty much any variation you like. It's a bit of a shame some of the more experienced members above couldn't have taken 30 secs to explain that rather than posting stupid f***ing pictures.

how would you be avle to guage the drop though

welshpug

far far easier than the former method.

basically stock measurement between the damper bolts at rest is 322mm, move the trailing arm up with the bars removed fully till its at a desired point then insert the bard back in wherever they will go back in without force.

You will need to rotate the bars spline by spline till you find the right pair, one side will engage by 5mm before the other side, so with some gentle prodding of the torsion bar and pulling it out and rotating and pushing back in you'll soon find it, having everything clean of any corrosion and lightly greased will help massively

• Like 2

Karl

Excelent I will have to do this the correct way then thankyou very much for informing me of this

Also would these do the trick for the beam.mountshttp://www.bakerbm.com/205.php?data=suskit205a I cant seem to find 1.9 specific ones

Edited by Karl

dcc

those mounts aren't what henry/tom have highlighted - they're for the rear of the beam where there would normally be a rubber sandwich bush. the teflon bushes are what go under the beam specific mounts and require pressing in iirc!

to be honest if this has all started from just lowering your beam, and no other alterations done to the beam, you're likely to have the standard beam mounts there so not to worry with them.