• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ScoobyJawa

How Much To Fix Sunroof Drains?

ScoobyJawa

I need to get my sunroof drains fixed (they are corroded where the pipe meets the rubber tube in the headlining) as I want to be able to leave the car without a cover on all its life!

I've already done them on another 205 so I know whats involved but I just don't have the time to do them myself now with a baby taking up most of my free time!

Just wondered if anyone has an idea of what I could expect to pay a bodyshop/garage to sort them for me?

Ta :)

Edited by ScoobyJawa

Stu

would it not be easier to replace the sunroof frame? I took mine out for painting, its not too bad :)

ScoobyJawa

Last one I took the headlining down and tigersealed some new copper piping in there. I don't care how its done tbh, just as long as its a reasonable job so it doesn't happen again but as said, I don't have the time to do it so just wondered on rough estimate of cost!

hoodygoodwood

I just did 2 of my drains using stainless steel tube bought off Ebay , a nice tight fit plus a dab of araldite to make sure they are watertight .Some sunroof frames lift out easy , others have a strip of sealant under them and they won't budge without levering which is a bit of a nightmare for potential deformation .

Good luck finding a normal garage , are you anywhere near Miles Horne ?

ScoobyJawa

Unfortunately not, I'm just north of Pompey!

Pugleyrich

That's not too far from Miles... Could be a nice day out in the New Forest

ATK

By the time you explain to a garage what needs doing and how to do it you may as well do it yourself again. Mine took around 4 hours when I did mine, copper pipe amd tigerseal.

Miles

Headlining's are a pain as they are dead easy to damage which is the longest part, fixing the drain's could be cutting the end off and putting the tube back on

ScoobyJawa

Yeah the headlining is a bit of a pig to be careful with. Last one was a pig as the whole pipe had corroded. Might just pull the lining down and top of the pass door and shine a torch in to see if I can see how bad it is.

ScoobyJawa

Well I had some time today so I had a crack at it. The drains were in pretty good condition to be honest, only a little rust showing. While it was all off I put a bit of copper pipe inside the standard one and tigersealed it all up - thought while I'd gone that far I might as well rule out the drains ever being an issue.

So, with that done, I now need to find where the leak is coming from!! :wacko::blink::angry: