• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JoniGTI

Fondmetal 4000's On 1.6 Hubs

JoniGTI

Hi guys,

I have a set of Fondmetal alloys on 1.6 Gti hubs, and they stick out too much, are their any suggestions how to solve this, and wanted also to ask if having a wheel this wide impact the handling and to the wear of the components,

My alloys are 7j and ET11,

Another question is if the original 1.6 alloys are et24, should i search for the nearest et for the best matching? (Doesn't matter the size of the alloy?)

Thanks,

Jonathan

welshpug

swap to base model hubs and 1.9 gti discs.

Henry Yorke

The original wheels are only 5.5J so as the width goes up, the offset decreases.

Your Fondmetals are 1.5 inches wider than your 1.6 wheels. ET11 on a 7J is a low offset and pushes wheels out. The regular size for a 7x15 is around ET15. The ET is the offset, so the distance the bolting face is away from the centre of the wheel. Big dished wheels can have a negative ET value. More info here from a quick Google: http://www.onthelow.net/2010/08/31/offset-width-basics/

I ran 7x15 ET 25's on my CTI when I had 1.6 hubs with no spacers. When I put 1.9 hubs on, I had to put a 10mm spacer on to stop it hitting the the shock absorber.

Technically a wider stance will wear out wheel bearings quicker, but it will not be that noticable I think. It will alter the steering geometry at the front too somewhat, but potentially give higher speed stability and better cornering.

If it is hitting your plastic arches then I would go for basemodel hubs as apart from machining some material off your inner hub of the wheel, then this is your only option.

JoniGTI

Thanks for the fast replay,

Does changing the hubs to base models does something significant to the stability/cornering? Or does it make only a visual difference by making the wheel stick out less?

Jonathan

Tom Fenton

Funny, I answered this exact question on a face book group a few months ago, and gave the exact same answers.

• Like 1

Henry Yorke

Thanks for the fast replay,

Does changing the hubs to base models does something significant to the stability/cornering? Or does it make only a visual difference by making the wheel stick out less?

Jonathan

No and yes

Funny, I answered this exact question on a face book group a few months ago, and gave the exact same answers.

:) The question now is, am I getting a hunger for mixed grills or are you getting a penchant for Monaco shoes