• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sp_en_ny

Restoring Plastci Trim Inside And Out

sp_en_ny

Hi Everyone,

My interior trim such as the window winder handles and exterior trim such as the bumbers have faded so much now they resemble the colour why or very light grey than they do black.

I have just placed an order for some Gtechniq C4 as having done a lot of research appears to be about the best product on the market. The only issue for me is that even this only has a life span of 1-2 years and I was looking for something a bit more permanent.

SO much so I was actually thinking of painting the winder handles as an experiment first and if this was successful perhaps take it as far as the exterior trim.

I was looking at plasti-kote Mat black. I realise I would probably be better off using a priming cost first but has anyone else done anything like this before or know of the best way in which to get the plastics back to their former glory ?

The only thing that puts of painting the items is if after a year or some the paint starts cracking and splitting and looks worse then it is now and is even more of a bugger to put right after.

Any useful comments/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Spencer

Pugleyrich

I have used plasticare on mine. Works just as well on the interior as it does the exterior

Andy_C

I'm going to try Solution Finish; it's getting a lot of positive feedback.

I've got way longer than 2 years with C4 and you only need a few ml. It's still evident at almost 40k on my daily.

Ryan

I used Halfords flexible vinyl paint to do my bumpers, side trim, rear slatted panel, door handles, aerial base, door pockets, and handbrake cover. I did it 7 or 8 years ago and it still looks good. No signs of cracking, and the paint seems to adhere to the plastic well so it doesn't chip even if you scratch it.

jamie_1992

i recently purchased some special bumper paint for mine its designed especially for redoing trims and bumpers, was going to plastic prime the trims first. can remember what it was called but can have a look if your interested.

Alan77

A coat or two of Plasticare, finished off with Auto Finesse Revive is the best combo IMO.

dobboy

I've used Revive on mine, but it can only really darken really faded bits down slightly. I'd try find replacements for the badly bleached interior bits.

I've also had all my exteriors painted (off the car) by a pro, plasti primed, texturised, then finished with a matted dark grey to suit Ph1.5. I used colour Ral7021 for the greys and can't remember what for the blacks. Everything looks like new and no signs of flaking after nearly a year. The exterior bits got minimal paint on them to help maintain original texture.

There's another product meant to be great for rejuvinating plastics, on a "Best Products" thread somewhere.

sp_en_ny

Thanks everyone for your comments, looks like I may have rushed into buying C4 to quickly and waited until making this post. Plasticare looks like a good choice as claims its permanent and looks like it is easy to do yourself.

I still like the idea of having them painted for a more permanent and fully rejuvenated look, Jamie_1992 I would very much appreciate it if you could give me the name of the products you got.

dobboy, do you mind me asking roughly how much it cost to have someone paint it all ?

Thanks everyone.

dobboy

Thanks everyone for your comments, looks like I may have rushed into buying C4 to quickly and waited until making this post. Plasticare looks like a good choice as claims its permanent and looks like it is easy to do yourself.

I still like the idea of having them painted for a more permanent and fully rejuvenated look, Jamie_1992 I would very much appreciate it if you could give me the name of the products you got.

dobboy, do you mind me asking roughly how much it cost to have someone paint it all ?

Thanks everyone.

I got it painted along with my car, although i had stripped everything off it.

I asked out of interest how much the kit would have cost on it's own and he recon'd about £600.

But beware you'd likely be a bit more as you'll prob break fixings etc removing everything, but have to say the guy done a great job and you wouldn't know that it's been painted.